Oct 11, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
- Five minutes into the match and Jermaine Jones was already in hot water with the referee. Is there any doubt whatsoever that the volatile midfielder will get himself (and the team) in trouble next summer in Brazil at least once, with a bad card or a careless turnover?
- Other than a three or four minute spell early where things got a little, uh, “loose” in the back, the back line held up OK. That’s significant since the central pairing, Matt Besler and Geoff Cameron, were matched up together for the first time.
- The outside backs, Brad Evans and DaMarcus Beasley are dealing well with Jamaica’s speed.
- Hardly a vintage Tim Howard performance so far. He had four chances to handle the ball under pressure and didn’t do particularly well with two of them. One shot was left in a really, really bad place and a corner kick fell a little too close him.
- Alejandro Bedoya is having a stinker. Bad passes, one poor cross, an inability to read his teammates, little chemistry with right back Evans, one badly missed tackle, etc. Landon Donovan (on the left, opposite Bedoya in a 4-4-2) isn’t doing great, either, but he’s Johann Cruyff compared to Bedoya, who really needed a big game.
- No surprise here considering no Michael Bradley to orchestrate, but the U.S. midfield is somewhere between ineffective and “blek.” Bradley makes things so much easier for everyone with his positioning and ability to play people into the right spots with his passes.
- Mix Diskerud, essentially playing in the “Bradley role,” isn’t having much influence.
- Aron Johannsson is making Jurgen Klinsmann look good for giving that first start. He is finding good spots near goal – just needs to do a little better on the finishing end.
- Plus, Johannsson’s technical work on the transition (hold-up play, that is) has been excellent.
- Jozy Altidore’s passing is off. You have to wonder how the mess at Sunderland is affecting his confidence and ability to generate the kind of quick, decisive action that really makes a player.
Dec 18, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Find out who went where in Stage 2 of the MLS Re-Entry Draft on Thursday.
Dec 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
As we head into the busy festive season, here’s how the rankings of power look before Week 17.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 PM EST
Winger set to return to full training, may return to action this Sunday at Anfield.
Dec 18, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
Germany end 2014 on top, as the USMNT sit steady inside the top 30.
Dec 18, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Balotelli will now miss Liverpool’s match against Arsenal this weekend.
Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Rogers worries about anti-gay laws in Russia, Qatar during World Cup tournaments.
Dec 18, 2014, 11:46 AM EST
Scunthorpe win 14-13 on penalty kicks… really?
Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Klinsmann’s son make six saves, but gets second-yellow as youth side beat Germany.
Dec 18, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
USMNT attacker heading back to MLS.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 AM EST
Vegas, baby! New soccer stadium gets seal of approval from city council… all they need know is an MLS expansion franchise.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EST
Reus has been speeding around in his Aston Martin without a license. Gets biggest motoring fine in German history.
Dec 18, 2014, 7:54 AM EST
Dig into all the latest gossip, right here.
Dec 17, 2014, 11:13 PM EST
Could Cole be returning to the Premier League?
Dec 17, 2014, 10:35 PM EST
Bad jokes make Christmas.
Dec 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EST
Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 PM EST
Real Madrid cruised past Azul 4-0 and will be the heavy favorites come Saturday.
Dec 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EST
Huge coup for the Dynamo, if they can pull it off.
Dec 17, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
Quick healer, Mr. Aguero.
Dec 17, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
China making a big, big play into soccer.
Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
Three Premier League sides make the semi-final along with League One’s Sheffield United.
- Marvell Wynne, Bakary Soumare headline Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft results 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 0
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 3
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 1
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1