Oct 11, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
KANSAS CITY – Wins this week for San Jose and Vancouver have added yet more pressure on the two-time defending MLS Cup champs, who have a little work ahead to hold off the pursuers for a playoff spot.
Obviously, Bruce Arena and the Galaxy could use all hands on deck … especially the “hands” with the really great feet. We’re speaking, of course, about the team’s trio of Designated Players, Landon Donovan, Omar Gonzalez and Robbie Keane.
As of today, Keane and Donovan appear unavailable for Wednesday’s match at home next week against Montreal; both will be traveling back that day from internationals, Keane from Europe and Donovan from Panama.
Arena attempted to get Keane released early … but the Irish FA politely said that’s not going to happen.
Arena has also requested Donovan’s services, but the U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer told reporters Thursday that he still expects to be with the national team for Tuesday’s contest in Panama.
“We haven’t spoken about it,” Donovan said, referring to U.S. coaches. “My expectation is that I go to Panama, unless I hear otherwise. We’ll see what happens. I understand very clearly that every opportunity here is a good chance.”
What adds a degree of complexity here is Donovan’s previous estrangement from the national team. He has mended the fences with teammates and coaches (in as much as it needed mending) and can’t afford to forfeit ground he has already gained.
Gonzalez, at least seems to be on the mend and should be available for next week’s match.
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park