Oct 13, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
“Roberto Martinez wanted me to stay but I’d made up my mind” said Anichebe. “He sent me a lovely text message after I left.”
“The first week I was here I was in bed thinking ‘have I made the right decision,’ texting some of the Everton boys asking how it is” Anichebe said. “But I’m happy I’ve definitely made the right decision, it’s brought out my hunger.
“When I found out (about Albion’s interest), I knew I really wanted to come here, Steve Clarke didn’t really need to persuade me.”
Anichebe made 26 Premier League appearances last season for Everton, and was generally David Moyes‘ first-choice striker. When he made the switch following Moyes’ exit, Martinez was left with just Nikica Jelavic at the front.
Now with West Brom, Anichebe has yet to score this season in three appearances, but does have an assist and is slowly adapting to Clarke’s system which is putting up some serious results.
Anichebe played nearly the full 90 in their 2-1 win at Old Trafford two weeks ago but missed out in the 1-1 draw with Arsenal this past weekend.
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 1
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6