Oct 13, 2013, 7:27 AM EDT
“When you’ve played virtually every game throughout your career it’s difficult” the 37-year-old told The Sun. “Especially when you think you should still be playing. I’m disappointed I’m not involved and I’ll just train hard until January and hope something comes up.”
Given has 440 Premier League appearances under his belt for Newcastle, Manchester City, Blackburn, and Aston Villa and hopes his experience will help him land a role that he believes he can still fill at a high level.
The Irishman has fallen down to third in the depth chart at Villa Park behind Guzan and promising youngster Jed Steer.
Given started 32 Premier League matches last season for Villa, but when manager Paul Lambert signed Steer in the summer, he specifically pointed out the need to challenge his incumbent for the spot.
“You want competition for places throughout the team, which is something we didn’t have last season” said Lambert back in June.
- PST’s MLS Player of the Week: Heavy on Eastern Conference nominees 0
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 1
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3