Oct 13, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Portland goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts has been generally outstanding in 2013, even if a few of those saves were a little more dramatic than they probably needed to be.
So that’s why it was particularly surprising when it was revealed that Ricketts has been playing lately with a broken thumb. The news actually came out of Jamaican media reports.
Since there’s no change, other than in public awareness, there’s no reason to believe this will impact tonight’s big match at Jeld-Wen Field, as the Timbers host the Sounders in the latest Cascadia Cup clash.
He was certainly up the job in the Timbers’ 2-2 draw last week with Vancouver. Ironically, Ricketts (pictured above) was available for that one and for tonight’s clash only because of the injury (and because Jamaica had been all but eliminated).
It is still something to keep an eye on tonight.
And by the time the teams take the field at Jeld-Wen, we’ll know a little more about Seattle’s goalkeeper situation, too.
Starting Sounders keeper Michael Gspurning, trusty for the majority of his time with the club, has not been good lately. He was downright poor, in fact, as the team fell hard last week to Vancouver. Between the shellacking there (a real low moment for the Sounders organization, a beating at home by a bitter Cascadia rival) and the 5-1 shellacking a few days earlier at Colorado, it’s no wonder that Sigi Schmid is contemplating a change in goal?
Will we see backup Marcus Hahnemann tonight? Schmid isn’t saying. “We’re still looking at that,” Schmid said on Saturday. “We’re still deciding.”
Rolling the dice with Hahnemann may be Schmid’s best move; he could be the inspirational figure a fading team can rally behind. Something’s got to give with Seattle, after all.
Tonight’s match on ESPN kicks off at 9 p.m. ET.
- In less than five months, Diego Costa has become Premier League villain No. 1 2
- Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: Ivanovic ensures Blues trip to Cup final after testy second leg 0
- New York, Montreal complete huge trade; Kljestan free to join Red Bulls 7
- Report: Manchester City to play New York City in Yankee Stadium friendly 2
- Iker Casillas to MLS? Real Madrid legend: “I would like to play in the United States” 0
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0