Oct 14, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Fourteen players handed lifetime bans by the El Salvadorian federation will not be able to play anywhere, after FIFA upheld the sanctions worldwide on Monday. The two players who received reduced suspensions also had their punishments extended across the globe.
“FIFA can today confirm the worldwide extension of sanctions imposed on a number of El Salvador players relating to match-manipulation investigations conducted by the El Salvador Football Association,” FIFA said in its press release. “FIFA continues to work closely with its member associations and the confederations to tackle match manipulation.”
National team friendly losses to D.C. United and the United States in 2010, a 5-0 loss to Mexico in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup and a 3-0 away loss to Paraguay on Feb. 6, 2013 are the three games whose results are in question.
FIFA only extended the sanctions on those 16 players, not the others who were charged on Thursday as new evidence came to light after the initial investigation. Rodrigo Martínez was suspended for five years, star forward Rodolfo Zelaya for one year and goalkeeper Benji Villalobos for six months.
Zelaya was a bright spot for El Salvador in the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup, where he scored four goals, including his team’s only strike in a 5-1 loss to the United States in the quarterfinals. He has drawn interest from multiple clubs abroad in recent years after an extended run of good form for La Selecta.
It will be up to FIFA to extend El Salvador’s sanctions on Martínez, Zelaya and Villalobos worldwide, as it did with the other 16 players indicted on match-fixing charges.
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 4
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014