Oct 16, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT
We’ve already mentioned it a few times today on ProSoccerTalk, but how awesome was the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying last night?
It really was a once in a lifetime moment for many fans across North and Central America, as years of qualifying all boiled down to a few minutes of intense drama.
Nations held their breath as first Panama, then Mexico, then Panama and then finally Mexico, qualified for the CONCACAF vs. Oceania playoff round to make it to the World Cup. The front pages of the press in Mexico (right) tell it’s own story.
And of course, Mexico had good ol’ Uncle Sam to help them out in their moment of need. With just 90 seconds left, Panama were beating the USA 2-1 and sending El Tri crashing out of the World Cup. But then somehow, Graham Zusi equalized in the 91st minute to send Mexico ballistic and Panamanian into a blubbering mess of discontent. Then, Aron Johannsson scored to seal a remarkable comeback win that will see Zusi become a Mexican hero for the rest of time.
Think I’m over exaggerating? Look below, clearly, I’m not.
Mexico’s were on their knees and staring into the abyss of not making the World Cup for the first-time since 1982 and only the third time in their history. But the USA came to their rescue.
These are just some of the headlines from the Mexican press this morning, via Kurt Austin of Sporting KC.
And watch this incredible video clip as a Mexican announcer loses the plot live on air as the USMNT score two late goals against Panama to book Mexico a spot in the World Cup playoff round against New Zealand.
“God bless America!”
“We love you forever and ever.” So and and so forth the thanks rang out. De nada, Mexico.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 1
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3