‘God bless America’ – Mexico thanks USA for World Cup chance, as El Tri survive

Oct 16, 2013, 1:37 PM EDT

Mexico WCup Soccer AP

We’ve already mentioned it a few times today on ProSoccerTalk, but how awesome was the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying last night?

It really was a once in a lifetime moment for many fans across North and Central America, as years of qualifying all boiled down to a few minutes of intense drama.

Nations held their breath as first Panama, then Mexico, then Panama and then finally Mexico, qualified for the CONCACAF vs. Oceania playoff round to make it to the World Cup. The front pages of the press in Mexico (right) tell it’s own story.

(MORE: Relive CONCACAF drama as USA hand Mexico World Cup lifeline)

And of course, Mexico had good ol’ Uncle Sam to help them out in their moment of need. With just 90 seconds left, Panama were beating the USA 2-1 and sending El Tri crashing out of the World Cup. But then somehow, Graham Zusi equalized in the 91st minute to send Mexico ballistic and Panamanian into a blubbering mess of discontent. Then, Aron Johannsson scored to seal a remarkable comeback win that will see Zusi become a Mexican hero for the rest of time.

(MORE: The best night ever in CONCACAF qualifying? See how things unfolded on Twiter…)

Think I’m over exaggerating? Look below, clearly, I’m not.

Mexico’s were on their knees and staring into the abyss of not making the World Cup for the first-time since 1982 and only the third time in their history. But the USA came to their rescue.

These are just some of the headlines from the Mexican press this morning, via Kurt Austin of Sporting KC.

And watch this incredible video clip as a Mexican announcer loses the plot live on air as the USMNT score two late goals against Panama to book Mexico a spot in the World Cup playoff round against New Zealand.

“God bless America!”

“We love you forever and ever.” So and and so forth the thanks rang out. De nada, Mexico.

1. talgrath - Oct 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You’re welcome Mexico.

2. hildezero - Oct 16, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I saw this video yesterday and I can tell you that, as a Mexican, this will and has not sit well with a lot of Mexico fans.

• footballer4ever - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Do you know why it does not sit well with Mexicans? Could it be that what Costa Rica’s coach, Pinto, correctly indicated Mexicans are arrogants! After this gift or second chance given to them by the USA to Mexico, there are still arrogant mexicans out there? In my book, when you are down and someone gives you a hand, the only way to be is humble and grateful. Anything not close to that, it’s equivalent to being fully arrogant and ungrateful. That’s why Concacaf can’t stand Mexico, and it’s not envy as some arrogant mexicans like to thing, but for a country with so many advantages over other concacaf countries, including USA at some point, they have been pretty much underachievers yet their big head or complex makes them believe they are the “Giants of Concacaf”.

• footballer4ever - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM

……and just like Mexicans, there is another nationality out there who behave same or worse than them, but the main difference is that they don’t have the same population or significant presence as Mexicans do. I’ll leave that for homework in case anyone wants to take a guess ;)

3. cashtext4all.com - Oct 16, 2013 at 6:11 PM

you are welcome mexicona

4. wandmdave - Oct 16, 2013 at 8:45 PM

someone has to post the translation. He totally craps on the mexican national team while singing the US’s praises

• italyjoe - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:25 AM

He trashes Mexico. You guys don’t do anything for the jersey. It wasn’t you. It was united states, it was united states. Variations of that

5. jimmycrackcorn99 - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

They still have to get past New Zealand… the way they have been playing, I’m no so sure it’s a shoe-in.

6. footballer4ever - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM

This video in which Mexicans were celebrating on that extra time goals by the USA is reminiscent when USA score late in extra time and eliminated Costa Rica at RFK stadium from going to the WC 2010 and instead it gave Honduras the opportunity to attend the World Cup South Africa 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2_ViMqeARA -U.S Broadcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhY-IbViJ20 – Honduras broadcast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67o7MPLD2-E Costa Rica Broadcast

7. hildezero - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM

@footballer4ever,

“Do you know why it does not sit well with Mexicans?”
    XD You try to sound like you know what you’re talking about and I don’t. Lol. Like I said, I’m Mexican, so of course I know why. It was because their own announcers were saying bad things about their national team and saying great things about US Soccer which made the US look much superior than Mexico. The worst part was where he said “we love you for ever and ever” to the US. Some Mexico fans (I’m not one) laughed at that and took it as a joke as if that’s never gonna happen. So did you say the same thing and got it right, Mr. Know-it-all? I don’t think so. My bad, your comment is false.

• footballer4ever - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:22 AM

@hildezero

You are one of the pleasant and clever participants around here, so my respect for your contributions to WFT- Wold Football Talk or as some like to call it, ProSoccerTalk :)

First of all, All I know is that I know nothing. Now when you said ” I’m Mexican, so of course I know why”, that sure sounds quite arrogant, but being the pleasant participant you are , I will give you the benefit of the doubt what you said it’s not necessarily what you meant it to sound like.

As far as you statement, “their own announcers were saying bad things about their national team and saying great things about US Soccer which made the US look much superior than Mexico.”

It can be factually supported that US does not only look much superior than Mexico, but it’s performing superior than mexico too…that’s not an opinion or knowledge…that’s a fact otherwise look at the opposite directions both teams are heading towards.

” The worst part was where he said “we love you for ever and ever” to the US. Some Mexico fans (I’m not one) laughed at that and took it as a joke as if that’s never gonna happen”

If that does not sound arrogant, then at least it sounds hateful and in no way grateful at any level for what US could have done on purpose to leave Mexico out of the WC2014. I do have my doubts Mexico would have done the same if the roles were reversed. As a Mexican “representative” or ambassador, your feelings are a reflection of how most of you really feel.

“Mr. Know-it-all? I don’t think so. My bad, your comment is false”

All I know is that I know nothing, but thank you for giving mencredit than what I really know :P

FIRED: Where David Moyes went wrong