Oct 16, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Three losses in a row have cast some doubt on the Sounders’ playoff fate. In all likelihood, Seattle’s going to be playing past game 34, but with San Jose surging while Sigi Schmid’s team struggles, being number six two weeks from now isn’t out of the question. And even if Seattle gets through, there’s no guarantee they’ll avoid the four-five game, mostly like against the same Colorado Rapids team who throttled them 10 days ago.
Now the good news. According to the beat guys at Starfire Sports Complex today, many question marks for Saturday’s game in Dallas could see positive answers:
Schmid sounds relatively upbeat about chances for Dempsey, EJ and Evans for Dallas. Oba less so. And Zakuani had setback.—
Don Ruiz (@donruiztnt) October 16, 2013
Schmid left door open for Dempsey, EJ and Martins being available Saturday. Dempsey/EJ did what they wanted. Oba a little less so.—
Joshua Mayers (@joshuamayers) October 16, 2013
More on those lists:
- Clint Dempsey suffered a separated shoulder in the first half Sunday against Portland but managed to play another 57 minutes. The hamstring problem that kept him out of the U.S. national team? If it’s still a concern, it’s a secondary one.
- Eddie Johnson injured his groin while with the U.S. national team, forcing him to pull out of the team’s qualifiers. He’s arguably been Seattle’s most important player this season. Having him on the end of set pieces and long balls gives the Sounders a straight-forward way to break out of this slump.
- Brad Evans, also called up by Jurgen Klinsmann, stayed with the team, played in Panama, but could be ready in Frisco. His presence has been missed over the last two games.
- Obafemi Martins has been dealing with a groin problem and didn’t feature in Portland. Per the sources above, he seems less likely to play than his strike partner.
- Steve Zakuani, coming back from sports hernia surgery, played in Portland and nearly found a late equalizer, but having suffered a setback, the winger seems unlikely to feature in Dallas.
Other question marks/issues for Seattle:
- Marcus Hahnemann played well in goal at JELD-WEN, but as Schmid noted after the match, he didn’t have much to do. If Michael Gspurning is on the bench against Dallas, might as well consider Hahnemann the new number one.
- Jhon Kennedy Hurtado has had three different partners in central defense during Seattle’s losing streak: Zach Scott (at Colorado), Djimi Traoré (vs. Vancouver), Pat Ianni (at Portland). As is the case in goal, Schmid’s selection in central defense for Dallas should give us a good idea of how he sees his depth chart.
- Osvaldo Alonso is out, suspended for at least Saturday’s game. Given the absence you’d think if Brad Evans can walk, he’ll start next to Adam Moffat in the middle. Schmid favorite Andy Rose would be Plan B.
- Without Johnson and Martins but with Dempsey back, Seattle emulated a 4-2-3-1 in Portland, with Dempsey playing behind Lamar Neagle. If all of Johnson, Martins, Dempsey and Neagle are available, it will be interesting to see how Seattle set up. That foursome have rarely been able to get in the team at the same time. It’s unclear Schmid has decided on how to use them together (or if it’s worth sacrificing Mauro Rosales to do so).
Jul 7, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
All this on the heels of the USWNT announced as the first female team to received a ticker tape parade down New York City’s Canyon of Heroes.
Jul 7, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
You get the feeling it’s impossible not to be motivated when Steven Gerrard is your teammate. Now toss in Robbie Keane.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
The last female to receive a ticker tape parade down that route was 1960 Olympic figure skating gold medalist Carol Heiss Jenkins.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Their “no-name” defense hasn’t allowed a goal in four matches, and Canada could surprise you this month.
United States midfielder Lauren Holiday announces plans to retire with Women’s World Cup title in hand
Jul 7, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Lauren Holiday, 27, scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 2015 Women’s World Cup final.
Lampard talks club, challenge, Gerrard: “For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was” (video)
Jul 7, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
“For me this is as much of a challenge as Chelsea was, as Man City was,” Lampard said. “I play football to win.”
Jul 7, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
PST’s staff predict how the Gold Cup will play out as the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica clash to become CONCACAF champs.
Jul 7, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
Altidore and Dempsey will lead the attack. But who else is in reserve?
Jul 7, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Is he in the top five of superstars to join North America’s top-flight since the DP rule was introduced?
Jul 7, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Will Yedlin start on the right? Have Bradley and Mix got the center locked down?
Jul 7, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
A man who’ll go down as one of the USMNT’s all-time greats hits 100 caps tonight. A few thoughts on Il Generale.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Day 1 of the 2015 Gold Cup is here, as the U.S. starts its title defense with a showdown in Texas.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
The center back pairing is the big conundrum heading into the Gold Cup. Here’s a look at the eight defenders.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
Who will be the starter for Klinsmann in July?
Jul 7, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
As PL teams continue to return to preseason, more moves are taking shape. Here’s the latest gossip.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
Three heavy defeats in four days at the Pacific Games for Micronesia, as Vanuatu’s Jean Kaltack scored 16 times in one game. One game.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Blues eyeing up England’s national stadium for three seasons, but so are Spurs.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The youngest ever player to score in Turkey’s Super Lig will now try to find the back of the net at the Etihad.
2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too
Jul 6, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
While the rest of CONCACAF closes the gap on the USA and Mexico, it’s time for the USMNT to show they’re still improving, too.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
Are Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd the next athletes to be seen parading down the Canyon of Heroes?
- WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House 0
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 2
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0
- Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras 0
- Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1 2