Oct 16, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Three losses in a row have cast some doubt on the Sounders’ playoff fate. In all likelihood, Seattle’s going to be playing past game 34, but with San Jose surging while Sigi Schmid’s team struggles, being number six two weeks from now isn’t out of the question. And even if Seattle gets through, there’s no guarantee they’ll avoid the four-five game, mostly like against the same Colorado Rapids team who throttled them 10 days ago.
Now the good news. According to the beat guys at Starfire Sports Complex today, many question marks for Saturday’s game in Dallas could see positive answers:
Schmid sounds relatively upbeat about chances for Dempsey, EJ and Evans for Dallas. Oba less so. And Zakuani had setback.—
Don Ruiz (@donruiztnt) October 16, 2013
Schmid left door open for Dempsey, EJ and Martins being available Saturday. Dempsey/EJ did what they wanted. Oba a little less so.—
Joshua Mayers (@joshuamayers) October 16, 2013
More on those lists:
- Clint Dempsey suffered a separated shoulder in the first half Sunday against Portland but managed to play another 57 minutes. The hamstring problem that kept him out of the U.S. national team? If it’s still a concern, it’s a secondary one.
- Eddie Johnson injured his groin while with the U.S. national team, forcing him to pull out of the team’s qualifiers. He’s arguably been Seattle’s most important player this season. Having him on the end of set pieces and long balls gives the Sounders a straight-forward way to break out of this slump.
- Brad Evans, also called up by Jurgen Klinsmann, stayed with the team, played in Panama, but could be ready in Frisco. His presence has been missed over the last two games.
- Obafemi Martins has been dealing with a groin problem and didn’t feature in Portland. Per the sources above, he seems less likely to play than his strike partner.
- Steve Zakuani, coming back from sports hernia surgery, played in Portland and nearly found a late equalizer, but having suffered a setback, the winger seems unlikely to feature in Dallas.
Other question marks/issues for Seattle:
- Marcus Hahnemann played well in goal at JELD-WEN, but as Schmid noted after the match, he didn’t have much to do. If Michael Gspurning is on the bench against Dallas, might as well consider Hahnemann the new number one.
- Jhon Kennedy Hurtado has had three different partners in central defense during Seattle’s losing streak: Zach Scott (at Colorado), Djimi Traoré (vs. Vancouver), Pat Ianni (at Portland). As is the case in goal, Schmid’s selection in central defense for Dallas should give us a good idea of how he sees his depth chart.
- Osvaldo Alonso is out, suspended for at least Saturday’s game. Given the absence you’d think if Brad Evans can walk, he’ll start next to Adam Moffat in the middle. Schmid favorite Andy Rose would be Plan B.
- Without Johnson and Martins but with Dempsey back, Seattle emulated a 4-2-3-1 in Portland, with Dempsey playing behind Lamar Neagle. If all of Johnson, Martins, Dempsey and Neagle are available, it will be interesting to see how Seattle set up. That foursome have rarely been able to get in the team at the same time. It’s unclear Schmid has decided on how to use them together (or if it’s worth sacrificing Mauro Rosales to do so).
Apr 26, 2015, 11:50 PM EDT
Final: Sounders 1-0 Timbers
Apr 26, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
Roundup of La Liga and Serie A competition from Sunday.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:21 PM EDT
Final: Orlando City 0-2 Toronto FC
Apr 26, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
Watch the Premier League highlights from Sunday’s matches.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
Final: New York Red Bulls 1-1 LA Galaxy
Apr 26, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Who took the PFA prizes today?
Apr 26, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Louis van Gaal unaware of the seriousness of Wayne Rooney’s injury sustained during a 3-0 loss to Everton.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:40 PM EDT
Bayern Munich will enjoy the title as Germany’s best once again.
Apr 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Sunderland midfielder Connor Wickham is eyeing Premier League survival as the last month of the 2014-15 season arrives.
Apr 26, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Jose Mourinho was understandibly happy with his side’s defending, despite just the one point.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:54 PM EDT
Everton maintained a solid shape all game and the Toffees boss was loving it.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
Mourinho proves his again that his nous, Chelsea’s defensive core, can halt the Gunners.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Johansson fed Johannsson as AZ Alkmaar picked up a big win in their chase for a Europa League spot.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Here’s three things we learned from the Emirates after a lively London derby.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
There were few good chances as Arsenal could not find a breakthrough and Chelsea opens up a 10-point table lead.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT
Despite playing 30 minutes after a dangerous clash, Oscar has been sent to the hospital.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
Torino picked up its first win over Juventus in 20 years, but the fans kept it from being a truly happy day.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
There is no featured striker on the field for Chelsea, with Jose Mourinho instead selecting six midfielders to interchange.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:20 AM EDT
Manchester United had nothing to offer as Everton won its third straight against the Red Devils at Goodison Park.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The PFA have announced their team of the season. But should these 10 players have been involved?
- Jose Mourinho, once again, wins tactical battle against Arsene Wenger 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 8
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0