Oct 16, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Three losses in a row have cast some doubt on the Sounders’ playoff fate. In all likelihood, Seattle’s going to be playing past game 34, but with San Jose surging while Sigi Schmid’s team struggles, being number six two weeks from now isn’t out of the question. And even if Seattle gets through, there’s no guarantee they’ll avoid the four-five game, mostly like against the same Colorado Rapids team who throttled them 10 days ago.
Now the good news. According to the beat guys at Starfire Sports Complex today, many question marks for Saturday’s game in Dallas could see positive answers:
Schmid sounds relatively upbeat about chances for Dempsey, EJ and Evans for Dallas. Oba less so. And Zakuani had setback.—
Don Ruiz (@donruiztnt) October 16, 2013
Schmid left door open for Dempsey, EJ and Martins being available Saturday. Dempsey/EJ did what they wanted. Oba a little less so.—
Joshua Mayers (@joshuamayers) October 16, 2013
More on those lists:
- Clint Dempsey suffered a separated shoulder in the first half Sunday against Portland but managed to play another 57 minutes. The hamstring problem that kept him out of the U.S. national team? If it’s still a concern, it’s a secondary one.
- Eddie Johnson injured his groin while with the U.S. national team, forcing him to pull out of the team’s qualifiers. He’s arguably been Seattle’s most important player this season. Having him on the end of set pieces and long balls gives the Sounders a straight-forward way to break out of this slump.
- Brad Evans, also called up by Jurgen Klinsmann, stayed with the team, played in Panama, but could be ready in Frisco. His presence has been missed over the last two games.
- Obafemi Martins has been dealing with a groin problem and didn’t feature in Portland. Per the sources above, he seems less likely to play than his strike partner.
- Steve Zakuani, coming back from sports hernia surgery, played in Portland and nearly found a late equalizer, but having suffered a setback, the winger seems unlikely to feature in Dallas.
Other question marks/issues for Seattle:
- Marcus Hahnemann played well in goal at JELD-WEN, but as Schmid noted after the match, he didn’t have much to do. If Michael Gspurning is on the bench against Dallas, might as well consider Hahnemann the new number one.
- Jhon Kennedy Hurtado has had three different partners in central defense during Seattle’s losing streak: Zach Scott (at Colorado), Djimi Traoré (vs. Vancouver), Pat Ianni (at Portland). As is the case in goal, Schmid’s selection in central defense for Dallas should give us a good idea of how he sees his depth chart.
- Osvaldo Alonso is out, suspended for at least Saturday’s game. Given the absence you’d think if Brad Evans can walk, he’ll start next to Adam Moffat in the middle. Schmid favorite Andy Rose would be Plan B.
- Without Johnson and Martins but with Dempsey back, Seattle emulated a 4-2-3-1 in Portland, with Dempsey playing behind Lamar Neagle. If all of Johnson, Martins, Dempsey and Neagle are available, it will be interesting to see how Seattle set up. That foursome have rarely been able to get in the team at the same time. It’s unclear Schmid has decided on how to use them together (or if it’s worth sacrificing Mauro Rosales to do so).
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT
We didn’t see this coming, and neither did Frank Lampard.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
Pablo Zabaleta’s second yellow card changed the game, but a former Chelsea legend came back to haunt them.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT
Everton started early and saw much of the ball but Crystal Palace got a few breaks and took advantage to pick up their first win of the season.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:21 AM EDT
Mario Balotelli put an LOL up on Twitter at Manchester United’s expense, and subjected himself to some horrible racial abuse.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Despite heavy defeat, United’s new attacker scores goal of the season contender.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Everton has sewn the seeds for a good run of form and are hoping to build on recent success against a struggling Palace squad.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Diego Costa hsa been in fantastic form to begin his Premier League career, and has the chance to fire Chelsea five points clear at the top of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Manchester United were left shell-shocked after blowing a 3-1 lead against Premier League minnows.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Spurs offered little as James Morrison propelled West Brom off the bottom of the table.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Championship side Leeds is dipping into Eastern Europe to find their new manager.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
King Power Stadium is bursting with attacking skill as three goals have come within the opening 20 minutes.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:07 AM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino has to navigate a pair of fixtures in four days thanks to the Europa League, and will look to avoid the first defeat to West Brom at White Hart Lane in 30 years.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
Radamel Falcao makes his first start for Manchester United who look to build on a strong win last weekend.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
Strootman has hired a man with a solid reputation to try and bring down Roma’s insane asking price.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:55 AM EDT
Highlights and recaps from the seven-match night in Major League Soccer.
Sep 21, 2014, 12:49 AM EDT
Alan Gordon’s late winner moves LA even with Seattle at the top of Major League Soccer.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Arsenal’s manager lauded his team’s concentration in its 3-0 win at Villa Park.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
Bradley Wright-Phillips is closing in on history after his season’s third hat trick.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
Can Chelsea stay perfect by beating Man City? Will United win again? How will Spurs, Everton do after Europa League action? Super Sunday is upon us.
Sep 20, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT
Arsenal became the first to break through Aston Villa, while Sam Allardyce’s plans came to fruition in East London.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back former club Chelsea 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Frank Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer 0
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 2
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages 5
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0