Oct 17, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
Reports in the Metro claim that Tottenham are eyeing up a January move for Paris Saint Germain forward Ezequiel Lavezzi.
The online source claims that “out-of-favour” Lavezzi has “fallen down the pecking order” with the arrival of Edinson Cavani and that if it continues to effect the Argentine’s football he’ll be seeking a move in January, with Spurs leading the chase.
If the report is correct, which is highly doubtful considering Lavezzi has started six of the seven league matches for which he’s been available and played in both Champions League matches, the move would be a silly one for the Argentine.
First, while he may be in the midst of a difficult run of form, Lavezzi’s level has not dropped so much as to indicate that he won’t be selected to play for PSG anytime soon.
Second, Cavani is not a threat to Lavezzi as PSG typically plays a 4-3-3 with Lavezzi and Cavani flanking Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Third, even if things do proceed downhill for Lavezzi and he wants out of Paris in order to prove himself ahead of this summer’s World Cup, a move to Tottenham would make little sense. When it comes to the wings, Spurs are stacked.
Aaron Lennon, Gylfi Sigurddsson, Andros Townsend, Eric Lamela, Nacer Chadli and Lewis Holtby are already fighting over scraps of playing time like a pack of hyenas. Lavezzi to throw himself into that situation would be ridiculous.
Knuckle down, Lavezzi. Stay at the club that will fight for the domestic double and has the chance to compete for a Champions League title.
- Vancouver sends Nigel Reo-Coker to Chivas USA for Mauro Rosales 0
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 4
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 7
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2