Oct 17, 2013, 11:35 AM EST
The United States Men’s National Team retained 13th place in the most recent FIFA world rankings, released earlier today.
The victories over Jamaica and Panama were not enough to propel the Yanks farther up the rankings. The failure to crack the Top 7 means the USMNT did not receive a World Cup seed.
The honor of being a top seed in next summer’s tournament went to the Top 7 in the world – Spain, Germany, Argentina, Columbia, Belgium, Uruguay and Switzerland – plus hosts Brazil. If Uruguay fail to qualify for the World Cup in their intercontinental playoff with Jordan next month, the Netherlands will be bumped up to a seeded team.
The Americans’ immobility despite the two wins was due to a strong showing from the world’s top teams (with the exception of Italy) and countries like Switzerland and Chile earning big wins to leap-frog the Yanks. With wins over Albania and Slovenia, Switzerland shot up seven places to #7 while Chile advanced four places to #12 with their victory over Ecuador and the draw with Columbia.
Elsewhere in the world England moved up to #10 following their wins over Poland and Montenegro, Croatia dropped eight places to #18 with their losses to Scotland and Belgium, France rose four spots to #20 after victories over Finland and Australia while Serbia rose 15 spots to #28 following their wins over Macedonia and Japan.
The next FIFA world ranking is set to be published after completion of World Cup qualifying on November 28th.
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues 19
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (38)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)