Oct 18, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Italian authorities have told Diego Maradona they will freeze his assets in Italy if he doesn’t pay the €39 million ($53.3 million) in back taxes he owes from his time at Napoli from 1984-1991.
Italian agents notified the Argentine of their request in his hotel room in Rome, where he was staying to watch the Roma vs. Napoli match as well as film a video series about his life.
Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s had run-ins with the Italian authorities. According to reports he’s had two Rolex watches and a diamond earring in previous visits to the country.
Oh, and because we can never get enough of The Cosmic Kite, he told reporters before the match that “When Benitez leaves I would like to take over at Napoli” and declaring “there are people who are afraid of me. That’s why I’m not coaching.”
Whatever you say, Diego.
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 3
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 1
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 2
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 4
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 9