Oct 18, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Italian authorities have told Diego Maradona they will freeze his assets in Italy if he doesn’t pay the €39 million ($53.3 million) in back taxes he owes from his time at Napoli from 1984-1991.
Italian agents notified the Argentine of their request in his hotel room in Rome, where he was staying to watch the Roma vs. Napoli match as well as film a video series about his life.
Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s had run-ins with the Italian authorities. According to reports he’s had two Rolex watches and a diamond earring in previous visits to the country.
Oh, and because we can never get enough of The Cosmic Kite, he told reporters before the match that “When Benitez leaves I would like to take over at Napoli” and declaring “there are people who are afraid of me. That’s why I’m not coaching.”
Whatever you say, Diego.
- In less than five months, Diego Costa has come Premier League villain No. 1 1
- Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: Ivanovic insures Blues trip to Cup final after testy second leg 0
- New York, Montreal complete huge trade; Kljestan free to join Red Bulls 5
- Report: Manchester City to play New York City in Yankee Stadium friendly 2
- Iker Casillas to MLS? Real Madrid legend: “I would like to play in the United States” 0
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0