Oct 18, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Italian authorities have told Diego Maradona they will freeze his assets in Italy if he doesn’t pay the €39 million ($53.3 million) in back taxes he owes from his time at Napoli from 1984-1991.
Italian agents notified the Argentine of their request in his hotel room in Rome, where he was staying to watch the Roma vs. Napoli match as well as film a video series about his life.
Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s had run-ins with the Italian authorities. According to reports he’s had two Rolex watches and a diamond earring in previous visits to the country.
Oh, and because we can never get enough of The Cosmic Kite, he told reporters before the match that “When Benitez leaves I would like to take over at Napoli” and declaring “there are people who are afraid of me. That’s why I’m not coaching.”
Whatever you say, Diego.
- WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House 0
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 2
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0
- Reflecting on Michael Bradley from 1-99, as he hits 100 USMNT caps vs. Honduras 0
- Gold Cup Today: USMNT face Honduras, Panama vs. Haiti kick things off – Day 1 2