Oct 18, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Italian authorities have told Diego Maradona they will freeze his assets in Italy if he doesn’t pay the €39 million ($53.3 million) in back taxes he owes from his time at Napoli from 1984-1991.
Italian agents notified the Argentine of their request in his hotel room in Rome, where he was staying to watch the Roma vs. Napoli match as well as film a video series about his life.
Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s had run-ins with the Italian authorities. According to reports he’s had two Rolex watches and a diamond earring in previous visits to the country.
Oh, and because we can never get enough of The Cosmic Kite, he told reporters before the match that “When Benitez leaves I would like to take over at Napoli” and declaring “there are people who are afraid of me. That’s why I’m not coaching.”
Whatever you say, Diego.
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 10