Oct 18, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Italian authorities have told Diego Maradona they will freeze his assets in Italy if he doesn’t pay the €39 million ($53.3 million) in back taxes he owes from his time at Napoli from 1984-1991.
Italian agents notified the Argentine of their request in his hotel room in Rome, where he was staying to watch the Roma vs. Napoli match as well as film a video series about his life.
Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s had run-ins with the Italian authorities. According to reports he’s had two Rolex watches and a diamond earring in previous visits to the country.
Oh, and because we can never get enough of The Cosmic Kite, he told reporters before the match that “When Benitez leaves I would like to take over at Napoli” and declaring “there are people who are afraid of me. That’s why I’m not coaching.”
Whatever you say, Diego.
- Week 8 Preview: Playoff rematches in Seattle, New England; new tests for D.C., New York 0
- Schmid takes needed kick at Open Cup-Champions League hornet’s nest 6
- Weekend off gives Toronto a chance to get Michael Bradley right 2
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2