Oct 18, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Italian authorities have told Diego Maradona they will freeze his assets in Italy if he doesn’t pay the €39 million ($53.3 million) in back taxes he owes from his time at Napoli from 1984-1991.
Italian agents notified the Argentine of their request in his hotel room in Rome, where he was staying to watch the Roma vs. Napoli match as well as film a video series about his life.
Apparently this isn’t the first time he’s had run-ins with the Italian authorities. According to reports he’s had two Rolex watches and a diamond earring in previous visits to the country.
Oh, and because we can never get enough of The Cosmic Kite, he told reporters before the match that “When Benitez leaves I would like to take over at Napoli” and declaring “there are people who are afraid of me. That’s why I’m not coaching.”
Whatever you say, Diego.
- Premier League roundup: Boxing Day madness as Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool win 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Queens Park Rangers: Gunners overcome Giroud red card to hold off R’s 1
- Manchester United 3-1 Newcastle United: Rooney stars as Red Devils cruise 0
- Watch Live: Arsenal vs. Queens Park Rangers (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- LIVE – Premier League, at the half: Boxing Day madness, as goals continue to fly in 0
- Chelsea 2-0 West Ham United: Blues win on Boxing Day, extend lead at summit 1