Oct 18, 2013, 10:14 PM EST
22-year-old Andros Townsend has signed a new 4-year-contract following his debut matches for England this past international break.
The winger has been in spectacular form to start the season for Tottenham Hotspur, having played 483 of a possible 540 minutes since not featuring in the season opener.
Townsend, a Tottenham youth product, has been on loan spells all over England on his way to earning a place in the Spurs squad. In the last five years, he’s been loaned to Yeovil Town, Leyton Orient, MK Dons, Ipswich Town, Watford, Millwall, Leeds United, Birmingham City, and most recently Queens Park Rangers.
His play earned him a call-up from his country during a pair of massively important games, which England seized to automatically qualify for the 2014 World Cup. He scored on his debut, a 4-1 win against Montenegro. That earned him a second cap, in the 2-0 victory over Poland.
Townsend tweeted following the signing, saying it’s been the “perfect week.”
The England international has certainly impressed at Spurs, enough to have earned six starts this young Premier League season ahead of the many other options Andre Villas-Boas has on the edge.
He’s blasted 26 shots so far this season for Tottenham, a high number for a player on the wing.
The Express reported that the deal includes a number of performance-based incentives for Townsend to continue his development, and that talks with Spurs on the deal actually began before Townsend’s England exploits.
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy