Oct 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
At least for tonight, Sporting KC have the Supporters Shield lead with one match remaining.
More importantly, they’ve clinched a top-2 seed for the MLS playoffs.
In the cold and rain, Peterson Joseph pounced on a defensive mistake on the ball by Perry Kitchen in the sixth minute and slotted it to Dom Dwyer for the early winner.
That was all Kansas City needed to topple the league’s cellar dwellers, as KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen was forced into just a single save all match en route to his league-leading 13th clean sheet of the season.
Unfortunately for DC United, the loss means they become the fifth club (third non-expansion club) in MLS history to go winless on the road in a full season.
Here are the highlights:
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 2
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4