Oct 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EST
At least for tonight, Sporting KC have the Supporters Shield lead with one match remaining.
More importantly, they’ve clinched a top-2 seed for the MLS playoffs.
In the cold and rain, Peterson Joseph pounced on a defensive mistake on the ball by Perry Kitchen in the sixth minute and slotted it to Dom Dwyer for the early winner.
That was all Kansas City needed to topple the league’s cellar dwellers, as KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen was forced into just a single save all match en route to his league-leading 13th clean sheet of the season.
Unfortunately for DC United, the loss means they become the fifth club (third non-expansion club) in MLS history to go winless on the road in a full season.
Here are the highlights:
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0