Oct 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
At least for tonight, Sporting KC have the Supporters Shield lead with one match remaining.
More importantly, they’ve clinched a top-2 seed for the MLS playoffs.
In the cold and rain, Peterson Joseph pounced on a defensive mistake on the ball by Perry Kitchen in the sixth minute and slotted it to Dom Dwyer for the early winner.
That was all Kansas City needed to topple the league’s cellar dwellers, as KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen was forced into just a single save all match en route to his league-leading 13th clean sheet of the season.
Unfortunately for DC United, the loss means they become the fifth club (third non-expansion club) in MLS history to go winless on the road in a full season.
Here are the highlights:
- Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread) 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives 0
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 1
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1