Oct 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
At least for tonight, Sporting KC have the Supporters Shield lead with one match remaining.
More importantly, they’ve clinched a top-2 seed for the MLS playoffs.
In the cold and rain, Peterson Joseph pounced on a defensive mistake on the ball by Perry Kitchen in the sixth minute and slotted it to Dom Dwyer for the early winner.
That was all Kansas City needed to topple the league’s cellar dwellers, as KC goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen was forced into just a single save all match en route to his league-leading 13th clean sheet of the season.
Unfortunately for DC United, the loss means they become the fifth club (third non-expansion club) in MLS history to go winless on the road in a full season.
Here are the highlights:
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2