Oct 18, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
I think Sir Bedevere might have something to say about this moment in Bundesliga play Friday.
Bayer Leverkusen defeated Hoffenheim 2-1 to go top of the Bundelsiga table (!!), with the match winner coming from striker Stefan Kiessling in the 70th minute.
Except it was never a goal.
Kiessling’s header off a corner went beyond the post, but the ball went through a hole in the side netting and into the back of the goal, and referee Felix Brych awarded the goal for Leverkusen.
At the time Bayer went up 2-0, a lead Hoffenheim couldn’t overcome despite converting a penalty 18 minutes later.
The replay showed the ball clearly went well outside the post, but with the hole in the netting not visible on the camera angles, the ball appears to magically travel through the side of the goal and in.
A bit controversially, Kiessling nor any other Leverkusen player corrected the official.
It was a tough day at the office for Hoffenheim, who also had another goal ruled out incorrectly for offsides. And that’s not all – earlier Roberto Firmino missed a penalty and the follow up saw Hoffenheim smash the woodwork twice.
Following the match, the Bundesliga told Goal.com they do not have Goal Line Technology and it wouldn’t be implemented until the 2015/16 season at the earliest.
Here’s the phantom goal, have a watch:
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 2
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 3
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 4
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy