Oct 18, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
I think Sir Bedevere might have something to say about this moment in Bundesliga play Friday.
Bayer Leverkusen defeated Hoffenheim 2-1 to go top of the Bundelsiga table (!!), with the match winner coming from striker Stefan Kiessling in the 70th minute.
Except it was never a goal.
Kiessling’s header off a corner went beyond the post, but the ball went through a hole in the side netting and into the back of the goal, and referee Felix Brych awarded the goal for Leverkusen.
At the time Bayer went up 2-0, a lead Hoffenheim couldn’t overcome despite converting a penalty 18 minutes later.
The replay showed the ball clearly went well outside the post, but with the hole in the netting not visible on the camera angles, the ball appears to magically travel through the side of the goal and in.
A bit controversially, Kiessling nor any other Leverkusen player corrected the official.
It was a tough day at the office for Hoffenheim, who also had another goal ruled out incorrectly for offsides. And that’s not all – earlier Roberto Firmino missed a penalty and the follow up saw Hoffenheim smash the woodwork twice.
Following the match, the Bundesliga told Goal.com they do not have Goal Line Technology and it wouldn’t be implemented until the 2015/16 season at the earliest.
Here’s the phantom goal, have a watch:
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear