Oct 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
The speculation is over and Manchester United have nailed down their man. Adnan Januzaj, just 18 years old, has signed a new contract with the club, keeping him at Old Trafford until 2018.
After scoring twice against Sunderland last time out, thus rescuing his side from an embarrassing defeat to the bottom-dwelling Black Cats, the future of Belgium-born Januzaj has been up in the air. Which of the five (or six) countries that he’s eligible to represent would be decide to play for? And, perhaps more importantly, would Januzaj be allowed to slip away from United in the same manner as Paul Pogba? Well, his patriotic allegiances are still up in the air, but one thing’s for certain: no club will be able to swoop in to claim Januzaj without paying adequate compensation. Sorry, Juventus.
Manager David Moyes is thrilled that Januzaj has put pen to paper, saying, “I’m delighted that Adnan has committed his future to United. He is an outstanding talent and has impressed me consistently since I came to United in July. His balance, poise and ability to beat players is truly exceptional for a boy of his age. It’s great that he recognises that this club, with its tradition for developing young players and giving them a chance on the biggest stage, is the best place for him to be.”
The young winger seems pleased with his decision as well, telling the club’s official website that “It’s a great thrill to be able to sign for Manchester United. Since arriving here I have always felt like this was the right club for me.”
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 0
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1