Oct 19, 2013, 10:09 PM EST
The New England Revolution looked something very close to dead one month ago after a loss at Chicago – a loss to a team appeared to be chasing the very same playoff spot Jay Heaps and his Revs were after.
And the Revolution looked almost dead two weeks ago when New York’s Tim Cahill scored that dramatic equalizer so deep into stoppage time at Red Bull Arena, blocking off New England from what was looking like a massive three points on the road.
And yet New England just keeps hanging in there. Last week’s 1-0 win at Montreal was huge – although it would have meant little without a big follow-up tonight in a match against Columbus, a team that was all but mathematically out of the race.
Well, Columbus is officially out of its now. And Heaps’ team, against considerably stacked odds, is very much in it.
Young MLS sensation Diego Fagundez was left unmarked at the far post for his 12th goal this year – his 12th goal! It was the match-winner in yet another massive result for the Revs, a 3-2 win at a Gillette Stadium that was suddenly alive with hope.
Fagundez guy is just 18 years old, and yet his goals have been so important to the Revs this year. It wasn’t just the critical goal Saturday, either; Fagundez played with the awareness and wherewithal of a player 10 years older.
Now Heaps’ team has this: one more match against Columbus in Ohio (yes, the same team it just beat – more goofy MLS scheduling). A win at Crew Stadium may not be enough to get the Revs into the playoffs for the first time since 2009, but they probably won’t get there without one.
There’s still a chance, at least – and one more win would probably give the Revs a good chance.
Here are the highlights from Saturday, including Fagundez’s match-winner:
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4