Oct 19, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
Newcastle are determined to avenge last season’s 6-0 loss to Liverpool, and they’re now on their way, thanks to an absolutely incredible strike from Yohan Cabaye.
The Newcastle midfielder took the ball in midfield, cut in toward the right and headed up the flank. He chose to launch his shot from more than thirty yards out, sending a swerving, swooping ball toward the Liverpool goal. Simon Mignolet seemed stunned, waiting a few beats before moving toward the ball, but it was too late: the ball moved first in, then out, before landing in the far corner. But with the way the ball twisted and turned, it’s really unfair to place much of the blame on the Liverpool keeper.
Liverpool nearly responded immediately, with Kolo Toure getting himself some space and the threat being put out for a corner. Luis Suarez brought it down for Mamadou Sakho, but the defender fired his header over the ball.
Will the Reds waste their chance to move back to the top of the table? Or will Suarez and Co. turn things around, and manage to break through what is proving to be a strong Newcastle defense?
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 0
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 1
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 1
- United States defeats Germany, advances to Women’s World Cup final 16
- Reports: Galaxy on verge of landing El Tri star Dos Santos as “core player” 9
- Report: Sepp Blatter will not attend Women’s World Cup final 0