Oct 19, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
Marco Di Vaio’s 20th goal in an increasingly special season around Stade Saputo this year did a couple of things:
First, and most importantly, it was the critical equalizer Saturday at Stade Saputo against Philadelphia. And without the equalizer, Montreal would not have been in position to claim the late game-winner … a goal that will go a long way to getting Marco Schallibaum’s team into the 2013 playoffs.
Montreal’s 2-1 win over the Union did not clinch a playoff spot, but it left the Impact men in a much better place than when they arrived into Stade Saputo early Saturday afternoon.
Both Impact goals were vital in helping Montreal shake the pitiful funk that has dragged down the team lately at home; the Impact had lost three in a row at Stade Saputo going into Saturday’s important contest, one with lots of playoff implications.
More on the match later. For now we can wonder: Was this the goal that gives Marco Di Vaio the MLS Golden Boot? It was No. 20 this year for the Italian veteran.
Chicago’s Mike Magee has two contests left to pull even; he is one back, with 19 goals. Vancouver’s Camilo is two behind the pace with 18 goals. He has two matches remaining, as well.
Remember, we told you before that 20-goal seasons in MLS are pretty special animals, not very common at all.
As you think about that, enjoy Di Vaio’s 20th on a pretty special season that he has assembled around Stade Saputo:
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 2
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 3
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint