Oct 19, 2013, 12:51 PM EST
Stephane Sessegnon got things started with an early shot off a ball from Victor Anichebe, but the Albion attacker couldn’t control his strike, sending it high and wide. 10 minutes later Sessegnon missed a great chance to put West Brom ahead, beating two Stoke defenders to get himself into good position. However, he elected to shoot straight at Begovic, giving the keeper an easy save.
The Potters produced a slightly more breathtaking moment in the second half. Charlie Adam tried his luck from near the halfway line — well, why not, right? — and actually managed to force Boaz Myhill to hoof it back to goal, getting there just in time to tip the ball over the bar.
West Brom very nearly nicked a win in the dying minutes of the match, as the Canaries piled on the pressure. Again Sessegnon was involved, latching on to the end of a ball from Liam Ridgewell and running past two red-and-white shirts. His sharp shot was on target but Begovic managed to hang on to it, preserving Stoke’s clean sheet once again.
Stoke: Begovic; Wilkinson, Shawcross, Huth, Pieters; Walters (Jones 57), Ireland, Nzonzi, Adam (Wilson 80), Assaidi; Arnautovic (Palacios 90)
Subs not used: Sorensen, Whelan, Crouch, Etherington
West Brom: Myhill, Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell, Yacob, Mulumbu, Amalfitano (Morrison 62), Sessegnon, Berahino (Anelka 62), Anichebe (Long 75)
Subs not used: L Daniels, Brunt, Vydra, Dawson
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 1
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014