Oct 19, 2013, 7:02 AM EST
Liverpool are currently sitting second in the Premier League, but if they want to keep the pace with Arsenal, the Reds are going to need all three points from their visit to St. James Park (7:45 am ET, watch live on NBCSN and online via NBC Sports Live Extra). Newcastle are less concerned with their standing in the table — 10th, if you’re curious — than with avenging the 6-0 loss inflicted the last time Liverpool came to town.
The hosts are without captain Fabricio Coloccini, who misses through injury, and is replaced by Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa. They’re also lacking winger Jonas Gutierrez, who’s out for personal reasons, but with Gutierrez getting little more than a couple minutes off the bench this season, Newcastle likely aren’t too distressed. Instead the focus is on Loic Remy, who’s had an impressive five goals in three matches. Papiss Cisse, still lacking a league goal, is dropped to the bench, with Remy sitting left of Hatem Ben Arfa and Yoan Gouffran in a 4-3-3.
Liverpool’s big news is that Iago Aspas is out for six weeks through injury. But with the return of Luis Suarez to partner Daniel Sturridge up front, and Victor Moses slotting in behind, the Spaniard’s been on the bench in recent matches. Those three, as expected, make the start against Newcastle, as does Gus Johnson, who returns from injury. Lucas Leiva, who returns from suspension, is relegated to the bench.
Newcastle starting XI: Krul; Debuchy,Yanga-Mbiwa, Williamson, Santon; Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko; Gouffran, Ben Arfa, Remy
Liverpool starting XI: Mignolet, Johnson, Cissokho, Toure, Skrtel, Sakho, Henderson, Gerrard, Moses, Suarez, Sturridge
Subs: Jones, Agger, Kelly, Flanagan, Alberto, Sterling, Allen
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 15 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- USA’s World Cup opponents: What to expect from Germany, Portugal and Ghana 8
- World Cup 2014: Group analysis from Soccerly.com 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (39)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (22)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (19)