Oct 19, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
West Bromwich Albion hope to extend their four game unbeaten run when they face Stoke at the Britannia today (10 am ET, watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra). The odds are in the visitors’ favor, with Stoke not having won since their 1-0 victory over West Ham, and having lost their last three on the trot. Don’t put any money on this one being a high scorer, either: between the two sides, they’ve scored just 11 goals this season.
There’s little pre-match news to bolster Stoke’s confidence, either. West Brom welcome the return of Victor Anichebe, Matej Vydra, and Shane Long, although only Anichebe makes the starting lineup. Goalkeeper Ben Foster is still out with injury, although it’s tough to judge whether that’s a point in the hosts’ favor. On their end, the Potters have the talented Asmir Begovic in goal, but he’s been away on international duty with Bosnia, and is probably still suffering flashbacks caused by a last-minute shot from Lithuania on Tuesday night.
Stoke also have to contend with the sprightly Morgan Amalfitano, who’s a joy to watch, as well as young Saido Berahino, an early substitute against Manchester United who ended up scoring the winner. Those two flank Stephane Sessegnon, while it’s Victor Anichebe that leads the attack, with Nicolas Anelka dropping back to the bench.
Stoke starting XI: Begovic; Wilkinson, Shawcross, Huth, Pieters; Walters, Ireland, Nzonzi, Adam, Assaidi; Arnautovic
Subs: Sorensen, Whelan, Palacios, Jones, Wilson, Crouch, Etherington
West Brom starting XI: Myhill, Jones, McAuley, Olsson, Ridgewell, Yacob, Mulumbu, Amalfitano, Sessegnon, Berahino, Anichebe
Subs: L Daniels, Morrison, Anelka, Brunt, Long, Vydra, Dawson
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research shows less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 1
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)