Oct 21, 2013, 2:15 PM EDT
Both Barcelona and Atletico Madrid has the chance to make a record-breaking start to the 2103-14 La Liga campaign… but they both blew it.
With the Catalan and Capital city club in search of their ninth straight win to start the season, a feat only accomplished by Real Madrid’s 1968-69 team in Spain’s top-flight, both fluffed their lines with Barca drawing 0-0 with Osasuna, while Atletico lost 1-0 at Espanyol as Mexican coach Javier Aguirre sees his side move up to fourth.
Barcelona’s stalemate was the first-time they’ve failed to score in 65 league games, dating back to January 2012 against Villarreal, and even the return of Lionel Messi from injury for the final 25 minutes could spark Barca’s inept offense into life.
Real Madrid, oh yeah that ‘other’ Spanish team, beat Malaga 2-0 as Gareth Bale returned from injury to help seal the deal. Angel Di Maria put Madrid 1-0 up, before second half substitute Bale won a penalty late on that Cristiano Ronaldo coolly dispatched.
Real Sociedad warmed up for their Champions League trip to Manchester United by beating Valencia 2-1. The northern Spaniards opened the scoring through Antoine Griezmman, then Ruben Pardo grabbed a second to seal the victory.
Rounding up the rest of the action in La Liga, Sevilla were 2-0 up against Valladolid but let their lead slip as they drew 2-2, while newly-promoted Elche beat Real Betis 2-1.
Getafe are on a roll with a fourth straight win, they beat Granada 2-0. And struggles Rayo Vallecano beat fellow basement boys Almeria 1-0, as they latter are still without a win this season.
Rounding off week 9, there are two La Liga games on Monday with Celto Vigo hosting Levante at 2pm ET, and Athletic Bilbao playing Villarreal at 4pm ET.
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 0
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 1
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 3
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0