Oct 21, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
Let’s talk about what we mean by “on the brink” in that headline.
I know we’re not supposed to talk about The Headline in this way (the internet’s equivalent of a fourth wall), but anybody familiar with the scenarios knows “on the brink” is a huge understatement. It gives the impression that the Earthquakes can still make the playoffs, and while that’s true, it will take a scenario so outlandish that police investigations into gambling influences will commence if San Jose’s playing beyond next Saturday …
Because here’s what needs to happen:
- San Jose needs to beat Dallas at Buck Shaw, scoring at least 12 goals in the process.
- If they only score 12 goals, Colorado will need to lose by at least seven in Vancouver without scoring a goal.
- That would put San Jose and Colorado even on points, wins (first tiebreaker) and goals (second tiebreaker).
- The playoff spot would then come down to goal difference, which would depend on how many goals San Jose allowed in their 12-X romp.
- The next tiebreaker, discipline points, favors Colorado.
- If, however, San Jose scores 13, they could pass Colorado on goals scored, provided Vancouver wins at BC Place. The Rapids will go into next weekend with 45. San Jose’s scored 32.
As you can see, San Jose — who entered the night four back of the fifth place Rapids — is done. If they’re “on the brink,” it’s only mathematically; not practically.
The Galaxy, however, are in. Their point leaves them with 52, though they could still finish anywhere from first to fifth in the conference.
Win next Sunday in Seattle, and they’ll pass whichever of Portland (first, 54 points) or Real Salt Lake (second, 53) fail to beat Chivas USA (both teams close their seasons with the Goats).
If LA draws in Seattle, the best they can do is third (unless RSL loses to Chivas and scores three fewer goals than Los Angeles next weekend). The Sounders won’t pass them, but Colorado can with a win in Vancouver. If that happens, Seattle and LA will fly to StubHub for an elimination leg of an unlikely home-and-home.
If LA loses in Seattle, they can finish no higher than fourth place, and if the Rapids knock off the Whitecaps, the defending champions are off to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park for the West’s winner-take-all playoff opener.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
None of England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland at the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Not one, but two middle fingers to your own fans earns you a red card, sir.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:43 PM EDT
AC Milan + Hello Kitty = the strangest soccer story of the week, right?
Apr 1, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
This is a strange one: footballer admits to thinking about tweet to critic while still game in which he scored.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:22 PM EDT
A serious knee injury at the business end of the season? Terrible news, though Alaba hopes to return for a pair of cup finals.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
The first of CONCACAF’s five WCQ rounds is complete, and there’s a world-famous name leading one Caribbean minnow into the next round.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The USMNT kicks off its 2015 Gold Cup campaign in 97 days. What’s the roster going to look like? Who’s the surprising “ins” and “outs”?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
April Fools’ Day jokes — everybody’s got them, and while most aren’t funny, a few people came through with good ones today.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
One little magician has been sublime all season. He’s our consensus pick, but who do you choose?
Apr 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Ribery is a big fan of Hazard. Should the Chelsea wing-wizard replace the Frenchman at Bayern?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
PST’s writers select their coach of the year candidate with the end of season awards coming up fast.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
Listen to the latest MiB podcast, here.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:58 PM EDT
We select our Young Player of the season. Do you agree with the consensus selection?
Apr 1, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
Sterling has spoken out about his current contract situation. It’s fascinating stuff.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
PST’s writers pick their team of the season, so far… Agree? Disagree?
Apr 1, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
Which players did themselves the world of good in March for the U.S.? Here’s a gander.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Chairman of Bayern Munich, ECA, believes Blatter is ready to change his ways.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
Spurs winger scores stunner to silence doubters. Now, can he keep it up?
Apr 1, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Here are the latest rumors involving Premier League clubs.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5