Oct 21, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
Let’s talk about what we mean by “on the brink” in that headline.
I know we’re not supposed to talk about The Headline in this way (the internet’s equivalent of a fourth wall), but anybody familiar with the scenarios knows “on the brink” is a huge understatement. It gives the impression that the Earthquakes can still make the playoffs, and while that’s true, it will take a scenario so outlandish that police investigations into gambling influences will commence if San Jose’s playing beyond next Saturday …
Because here’s what needs to happen:
- San Jose needs to beat Dallas at Buck Shaw, scoring at least 12 goals in the process.
- If they only score 12 goals, Colorado will need to lose by at least seven in Vancouver without scoring a goal.
- That would put San Jose and Colorado even on points, wins (first tiebreaker) and goals (second tiebreaker).
- The playoff spot would then come down to goal difference, which would depend on how many goals San Jose allowed in their 12-X romp.
- The next tiebreaker, discipline points, favors Colorado.
- If, however, San Jose scores 13, they could pass Colorado on goals scored, provided Vancouver wins at BC Place. The Rapids will go into next weekend with 45. San Jose’s scored 32.
As you can see, San Jose — who entered the night four back of the fifth place Rapids — is done. If they’re “on the brink,” it’s only mathematically; not practically.
The Galaxy, however, are in. Their point leaves them with 52, though they could still finish anywhere from first to fifth in the conference.
Win next Sunday in Seattle, and they’ll pass whichever of Portland (first, 54 points) or Real Salt Lake (second, 53) fail to beat Chivas USA (both teams close their seasons with the Goats).
If LA draws in Seattle, the best they can do is third (unless RSL loses to Chivas and scores three fewer goals than Los Angeles next weekend). The Sounders won’t pass them, but Colorado can with a win in Vancouver. If that happens, Seattle and LA will fly to StubHub for an elimination leg of an unlikely home-and-home.
If LA loses in Seattle, they can finish no higher than fourth place, and if the Rapids knock off the Whitecaps, the defending champions are off to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park for the West’s winner-take-all playoff opener.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:24 AM EDT
Week one of the NWSL season sees Seattle atop of the league, but an import from Spain snagged her own headlines for Western New York.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
If Atlanta, Miami aren’t good sports towns, it may not matter. The doubts critics have cast on the league’s Southeast excursion may be irrelevant.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Top four hopes over for Everton?
Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Real win Copa del Rey as Barcelona’s bad run continues:
Apr 16, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
One more spot in MLS’s planned expansion is gone, with Atlanta set to begin play in 2017.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Two late goals gave Sunderland a lead, one City pulled back just before full-time.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Eagles soar to safety, but Everton’s Champions League dreams are in ruins:
Apr 16, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Two of Serie A’s most productive scorers may not be at this summer’s World Cup. Llorente wonders why.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Which Liverpool player picked up the Player of the Week accolade?
Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Both sides look to cash in on matches in hand at the Etihad.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Tim Howard and the Toffees win their eighth-straight game? Watch live online, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Having MLS teams share their home with NFL sides could be a smart move ahead of the next wave of expansion:
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Find out who made the PL Team of the Week, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Two PL matches take place on Wednesday, with both set to impact the top and bottom of the standings:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Are you ready to get ‘Duff-ed?’
Apr 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Watch all 10 PL games across 10 different channels on final day of the season. All the details, right here:
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move from past Week 1 0
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 2
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6