Oct 21, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
Let’s talk about what we mean by “on the brink” in that headline.
I know we’re not supposed to talk about The Headline in this way (the internet’s equivalent of a fourth wall), but anybody familiar with the scenarios knows “on the brink” is a huge understatement. It gives the impression that the Earthquakes can still make the playoffs, and while that’s true, it will take a scenario so outlandish that police investigations into gambling influences will commence if San Jose’s playing beyond next Saturday …
Because here’s what needs to happen:
- San Jose needs to beat Dallas at Buck Shaw, scoring at least 12 goals in the process.
- If they only score 12 goals, Colorado will need to lose by at least seven in Vancouver without scoring a goal.
- That would put San Jose and Colorado even on points, wins (first tiebreaker) and goals (second tiebreaker).
- The playoff spot would then come down to goal difference, which would depend on how many goals San Jose allowed in their 12-X romp.
- The next tiebreaker, discipline points, favors Colorado.
- If, however, San Jose scores 13, they could pass Colorado on goals scored, provided Vancouver wins at BC Place. The Rapids will go into next weekend with 45. San Jose’s scored 32.
As you can see, San Jose — who entered the night four back of the fifth place Rapids — is done. If they’re “on the brink,” it’s only mathematically; not practically.
The Galaxy, however, are in. Their point leaves them with 52, though they could still finish anywhere from first to fifth in the conference.
Win next Sunday in Seattle, and they’ll pass whichever of Portland (first, 54 points) or Real Salt Lake (second, 53) fail to beat Chivas USA (both teams close their seasons with the Goats).
If LA draws in Seattle, the best they can do is third (unless RSL loses to Chivas and scores three fewer goals than Los Angeles next weekend). The Sounders won’t pass them, but Colorado can with a win in Vancouver. If that happens, Seattle and LA will fly to StubHub for an elimination leg of an unlikely home-and-home.
If LA loses in Seattle, they can finish no higher than fourth place, and if the Rapids knock off the Whitecaps, the defending champions are off to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park for the West’s winner-take-all playoff opener.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:17 PM EST
The title race was minutes from being OVER; it’s still probably over. Tevez’s goal was an absolute beauty.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Last season’s worst team in the West has a new stadium and high hopes for 2015.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:21 PM EST
Jerseys, jerseys, jerseys! More new jerseys!
Mar 2, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
Where and how to watch every single PL game on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
The 23-year-old German defender was attempting to win a loose ball, and instead struck a strong ball past his keeper.
Mar 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
After finishing with the fewest points in MLS last season, the only way to go is up for Montreal.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Why wait for the season that might not happen, when we’ve got all the answers for you right now?
Mar 2, 2015, 2:14 PM EST
The captain has been out since Feb. 10, while Ibe was hurt in last week’s Europa League dismissal by Besiktas.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Bocanegra will work with MLS Atlanta president Darren Eales, who has worked with Premier League clubs West Bromwich Albion and Tottenham Hotspur.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EST
The Daily Mail had reported that three cops cars stormed a Premier Leaguer’s apartment earlier Monday to make the arrest.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:22 PM EST
KC only has two Designated Players — Matt Besler and Zusi — and RVDV would be a nice match provided the money works for both parties.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
The Lions will roar into MLS after several successful seasons in the third-tier. How will Orlando fare in 2015?
Mar 2, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Hull takes on Sunderland, Bruce’s old club, on Tuesday.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:06 AM EST
PST’s Editor and Lead Writer take a look back at Week 27 in the Premier League.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Chelsea fans on a train from London to Manchester have been accused of more racist behavior following the club’s 2-0 League Cup final win over Tottenham on Sunday.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:23 AM EST
Barring a catastrophic run of injuries, Chelsea looks set for a double, but the treble will take all of Mourinho’s managerial magic and likely some luck.
Mar 2, 2015, 9:02 AM EST
Can NYCFC capture the hearts and minds of soccer fans in the Big Apple? Here’s a look at how things are shaping up for their inaugural season in MLS.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:15 AM EST
It has not been a banner loan for the 6-foot Polish-German striker.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:48 AM EST
The transfer gossip out of Spain is that Orlando City is trying to woo the agent for Mario Balotelli.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:10 PM EST
Find out who made the cut as one of the top performers of Round 27 in the Premier League.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0