Oct 21, 2013, 8:01 PM EST
If I’m being honest, I get a little tired of watching some goalkeeper hesitate intentionally and then spring valiantly, as if all humanity depended on it, to dramatically push a shot aside – when all the moment really required was taking one step over to catch the darn thing. (I’m looking at you, Donovan Ricketts. I mean, you do make some swell stops. But some of those … c’mon, man!)
Well, Round 34 in MLS truly was blessed with some jaw-droppers and show-stoppers from the men behind the gloves.
Let’s take a look:
First up is the latest gem from the Galaxy’s Jaime Penedo, who sprawled and stretched to turn away Steven Lenhart’s goal-bound header. These are the very saves that Carlo Cudicini could not make previously – so good on the Galaxy officials for copping to their error and replacing their high-profile off-season grab. Here’s Penedo’s latest good work:
In the same match, how about this outstanding stuff from San Jose ‘keeper Jon Busch, who kept his team in the playoff hunt just a little longer with heroic bit of reaction and athleticism, turning aside a good look at goal from the Galaxy’s Marcelo Sarvas:
You have to watch this one a couple of times to see Nick Rimando’s quick hands at work for Real Salt Lake, as the U.S. international makes one of the four saves that helps to preserve his team’s scoreless draw at Portland during Saturday’s meeting of the two Western Conference leaders:
On this one, the highlight deciders at MLSSoccer.com have let you down some. You have to work through to the moment (because it isn’t one of the individual highlights on the menu … inexplicably so.) Got to the 4:40 mark of the complete Chicago Fire-Toronto FC highlight pack to see Sean Johnson’s fantastic, late stop that helps preserve a win that just might be enough to get his team into the 2013 playoffs.
But the best of the bunch may be from New York’s Luis Robles, who has overcome some early season wobbles, now one of the reasons his Red Bulls are riding a seven-game unbeaten streak at money time in MLS. Watch here as he stretches into the corner to tip away Boniek Garcia’s well-targeted effort:
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"