Oct 23, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
(Updated at 3:48 p.m. ET, with Yaya Toure comments on video)
Broadcasters on scene reported hearing deplorable racist chanting at the ground as CSKA Moscow hosted Manchester City in a UEFA Champions League group stage match on Wednesday.
Many Twitter followers also commented on the sorry chanting, which UEFA has attempted to eradicate through the years via awareness programs and, sometimes, punishment against clubs.
Said sideline reporter David Craig: “Despite the best efforts of UEFA to stamp out racism, it’s my sad duty to report that on a couple of occasions when [Manchester City midfielder] Yaya Toure has been down at the end were Manchester City is currently attacking, there have been some monkey chants emanating from behind the CSK A goal. … Very disappointing indeed.”
Indeed. It is 2013, after all. Only, not everyone has arrived here, apparently.
Announcers in the booth at the Khimki Arena in Moscow (where City won, 2-1) also indicated hearing some of the same racist chanting – and had some strong opinions on how UEFA needs to sweep in with tougher action. Europe’s governing body is no stranger to criticism that it’s efforts to deal with racism have been woefully insufficient.
Announcers there also noted this irony: CSKA Moscow has players of African heritage.’
It is also worth noting that Moscow will be the primary city for World Cup 2018, to be held across Russia. Plenty of Twitter followers certainly noted the troubling reality of FIFA’s selection of a country where this has been an issue before:
And here are Toure’s post-match comments, where he talks about the further actions he would like to see UEFA take. His comments on the chanting are at the 1:40 mark of the video:
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 4
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)