Oct 23, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
And former Manchester United star David Beckham wasn’t left out of the firing line either.
Ferguson, who signed Beckham as a teenager and brought him up from London to Manchester, was often described as a father figure to Becks in the early days of his career. However United’s legendary manager revealed Beckham’s transfer to Real Madrid in 2003 was about more than soccer.
“The minute a Manchester United player thought he was bigger than the manager, he had to go,” he wrote. “David thought he was bigger than Alex Ferguson. That was the death knell for him.”
Ferguson also didn’t agree with Beckham’s lifestyle on the field, following his marriage to Victoria Adams, a member of the pop group the Spice Girls.
The celebrity lifestyle that came with Beckham’s new wife was too much for Fergie to handle.
“David was the only player I managed who chose to be famous, who made it his mission to be known outside the game,” wrote Ferguson. “I felt uncomfortable with the celebrity aspect of his life.”
In a press conference on Tuesday to launch his book, Ferguson added: “He fell in love with Victoria – that changed everything.”
“I’m a football man, this is the point I’m coming to,” Ferguson said to Sky Sports. “I’d rather he focused on being the best player he could’ve been for Manchester United and enjoy playing with the likes of Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes and the pantheon of players having a great career of 20-odd years at United.”
And Ferguson also wasn’t too complimentary on Beckham’s decision to join MLS and LA Galaxy. In fact, not at all.
“If he’d have asked for my advice about going to LA Galaxy, I’d have told him ‘you don’t leave Real Madrid to go to LA Galaxy,'” Ferguson said. ” So he had his reasons for that, and maybe now when you think about it he played in a Champions League quarterfinal for AC Milan, and two years later he plays in the quarters for PSG. He had incredible qualities.”
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7