Oct 24, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
An Iraqi international has never played in Major League Soccer, but that could change soon. Columbus Crew midfielder Justin Meram has been on the federation’s radar for some time.
The Crew would not make Meram available for comment on the subject, but a spokesman told ProSoccerTalk that Iraq has made “repeated inquiries” about the player, and both parties are heavily interested. Meram is slogging through paperwork to become an Iraqi citizen and ensure that he is eligible to represent the Middle Eastern country.
Both of Meram’s parents were born in Iraq and immigrated to Michigan as teenagers. Meram was born in Shelby Township, Mich., a suburb of Detroit, and played for Eisenhower High School before heading to Yavapai College and University of Michigan.
Meram was the National Junior College Player of the Year both seasons at Yavapai and made the Second Team All-Big Ten twice at Michigan.
The Crew drafted him 15th overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, and Meram has made 57 appearances among his three seasons in the league, scoring five goals in 2,238 minutes played.
An earlier version of this story contained inaccurate information from foreign media reports that have since been clarified by the club.
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season