Oct 24, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
One of the best goals of the month came from an Irish women’s league game, when Stephanie Roche juggled the ball on top of the opponent’s penalty area before slamming home an audacious volley.
It was the Peamount United and Republic of Ireland forward’s first goal of the season. Because league games are not televised, the club uploaded her goal to YouTube and watched the hits stack up.
“To be honest, I didn’t think at the time how good of a goal it was,” Roche told Extratime.ie. “The hype over it is unbelievable. I can’t believe it.”
Once you see the goal (or see it again, if you already have), you’ll understand why so many people are talking about it:
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 1
- United States, Japan meet in Women’s World Cup final with high hopes back home 2
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 3
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2