Oct 24, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
FIFA enforced globally three more suspensions of El Salvadorian players for match-fixing, after the federation suspended them earlier this month. The worldwide governing body’s approval means star striker Rodolfo Zelaya will not be able to play anywhere for one year.
Rodrigo Martínez and Benji Villalobos were the other two players still waiting for FIFA judgment.
This is expected to be the final step in banning 20 players for match-fixing, with 14 receiving lifetime suspensions and six others’ punishments varying in length. National team friendly losses to D.C. United and the United States in 2010, a 5-0 loss to Mexico in the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup and a 3-0 away loss to Paraguay on Feb. 6, 2013 have been questioned as part of the investigations.
“The chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee has decided to extend the sanctions to have worldwide effect in accordance with article 78 paragraph 1(c) and article 136ff of the FIFA Disciplinary Code,” FIFA said in a press release. “The concerned parties were notified of the decision today [Tuesday].”
A full list of players suspended by Federación Salvadoreña de Fútbol and FIFA:
Banned for life: Luis Anaya, Osael Romero, Ramón Sánchez, Christian Castillo, Miguel Granadino, Miguel Montes, Dagoberto Portillo, Dennis Alas, Darwin Bonilla, Ramón Flores, Alfredo Pacheco, Mardoqueo Henríquez, Marvin González, Reynaldo Hernández
Five-year suspension: Rodrigo Martínez
18-month suspension: Romeo Monteagudo
12-month suspension: Rodolfo Zelaya
6-month suspension: Eliseo Quintanilla, Víctor Turcios, Benji Villalobos
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 10