Oct 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
United States head coach Jürgen Klinsmann participated in a Q&A on the U.S. Soccer website, where questions ranged from personnel decisions to World Cup preparations. The coach said he is planning on an intense build-up regimen, where players will essentially get no offseason in winter.
If Major League Soccer players such as Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Graham Zusi and Nick Rimando want to be on the plane to Brazil, then they won’t get a break until after the MLS Cup final. Klinsmann said they would either go on loan to European clubs, or U.S. staff would hold a special camp for them to continue training until they get a “well-deserved” month-long break before January camp.
And that January camp will no longer be just for young prospects looking to break into the team. Players will spend time in Los Angeles and São Paulo, Brazil, during the camp.
“Whoever won’t be on loan in January or February overseas is going to be part of our mandatory January camp,” Klinsmann said (full Q&A here). “We expect everybody comes in. We’ll try to bring in some younger players, have a look at them as well because we want to get a roster together of 20 to 23 guys that is highly motivated and inspired to go into the World Cup year.”
Klinsmann singled out Alejandro Bedoya and Aron Jóhannsson for praise, saying that Bedoya’s move to Nantes is “what we’re looking for” from players and Jóhannsson’s focus is “really great to see for us.”
“It is very crucial for us that the players understand that everything they do now today has an influence on Brazil 2014 next summer,” Klinsmann said. “They can’t take it easy.”
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0