Oct 25, 2013, 10:12 PM EDT
After Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho was sent off from the touchline from Chelsea’s 4-1 win over Cardiff City, things have gotten more and more strained between the two.
Mourinho was sent off for screaming at the referee Anthony Taylor, angry at the supposed tactics used by Cardiff to prevent Chelsea from extending their lead at the end of the match.
He labeled Cardiff as “time-wasters” following the match, and Mackay responded tactfully, and yet hit back at the accusations by citing an earlier moment from 10 years ago when Celtic and Porto faced off in the Champions League.
“I remember when Jose was manager at Porto a long while back. It was quite an infamous game for that sort of thing” said Mackay. “We are all in the same boat in a way. When you are frustrated at being sent off it is something else you might blame. But four minutes of stoppage time is a normal, standard amount of time in the second half. It is 30 seconds for a substitute and 30 seconds a goal.”
Mourinho avoided a touchline ban for his actions, but was fined £8,000 ($12,900) by the FA.
The Special One also smashed Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini ahead of his match against City. “Second place is just the first loser,” said Mourinho, referring to Pellegrini’s move to Malaga after being fired from Real Madrid. “If Madrid were to fire me, I wouldn’t go to Malaga. I’d go to a top-level team in Italy or England. Because I’m in a situation where I can choose. Some people can’t choose.”
Ouch. Mourinho sure does do his fair share of talking.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3