Oct 26, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Alex Morgan will miss Sunday’s United States women’s national team game against New Zealand with a left ankle injury. U.S. Soccer says that Morgan picked up the injury during training in San Antonio this past week and that she’s being held from the game as a precaution.
Morgan is day-to-day for Wednesday’s game – also against New Zealand – U.S. Soccer says.
Morgan has six goals and four assists in 11 games with the United States this year. She won the National Women’s Soccer League Championship with Portland Thorns FC in August, coming on as a substitute in the final after missing three weeks due to an unrelated left MCL sprain suffered in NWSL play.
The U.S. is fresh off a 4-0 win over Australia and faces New Zealand on Sunday in San Francisco before Wednesday’s game in Columbus, Ohio. The No. 1 ranked Americans end their 2013 schedule on Nov. 10 against Brazil (3:30 p.m. ET on NBC).
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: Summer transfer needs 0
- VIDEO: Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 2
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 0
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 3
- UEFA could leave FIFA if Blatter stays on, as support for Prince Ali grows 22
- Sepp Blatter refuses to quit as FIFA president despite plea from UEFA’s Michel Platini 9