Oct 26, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
The playoff race looks a lot less muddled today after two meaningful results, including one that made a whole bunch of fans at other clubs quite happy.
Philadelphia’s loss to Sporting Kansas City means the Union is eliminated, so that takes some of the “muddle” off the board. But the one that really affects other clubs is Montreal’s loss at Toronto FC. Here’s what it means for Sunday’s MLS matches:
- Chicago can now qualify for the playoffs with a draw at New York. (Obviously, the Fire qualifies with a win, too.) That’s important, because going into the weekend, there was a big chance that Frank Klopas’ team needed all three points. Now, getting in with just a draw gives the Fire a smidge more wiggle room, which may take a little pressure off the visitors – and may even alter the way Klopas approaches his tactics or his substitutions.
- Nothing changes for New England in that Jay Heaps’ team needs a win to qualify for the 2013 playoffs. But Montreal’s loss improves the Revs’ chances of escaping that mid-week elimination match; a New England win Sunday could now push 18-year-old scoring sensation Diego Fagundez (pictured above) and his Revs into the East’s third spot, which is far better than fourth or fifth in the current MLS playoff format.
- Montreal’s loss means the most for Houston. Coming into the weekend, Dominic Kinnear’s team needed a victory and just a little help to make the post-season. Well, mark down the Impact’s loss as “a little bit of help.” Now, if the Dynamo can prevail Sunday at RFK Stadium, the Orange will definitely qualify. Remember, the club has missed the post-season just once since arriving in Houston in 2006.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Houston’s defense suffers a setback, with Hall expected to be sidelined for 6-9 months.
Sep 2, 2014, 6:08 PM EDT
A one-goal, four-assist week means another legend claims our honor.
Sep 2, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
This was supposed to be Guzan’s audition. Instead, this looks like competition.
Sep 2, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Altidore’s 74th cap will feature the U.S.’s armband, with Jurgen Klinsmann having handed his striker the honor for tomorrow’s friendly in Prague.
Sep 2, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Colombian hotshot signs for the Red Devils on Deadline Day. Will his move guarantee goals, and maybe more?
Sep 2, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Four reasons why Welbeck could thrive at the Emirates.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
At just 18 years old, Emerson Hyndman has come through the Fulham youth ranks and is turning heads at all levels. He speaks to ProSoccerTalk about the chances coming all at once.
Sep 2, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Blues sign full back to new long-term deal at Stamford Bridge.
Sep 2, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Scorpions reveal stunning stadium plans, as the latest lower-league side plans for MLS expansion.
Sep 2, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Cleverley arrives at Villa Park after late, late loan move on Deadline Day.
Sep 2, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Speaking ahead of the USA’s clash in Prague, here’s what Klinsmann had to say.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Bayern Munich midfielder to lead Germany after Lahm’s retirement.
Sep 2, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
Where did the cash go? Who spent the most? Which records tumbled?
Sep 2, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT
Ronaldo’s not happy that Alonso, Di Maria were allowed to leave in the window.
Sep 2, 2014, 7:33 AM EDT
Is he a Red Devil or a Villan? Confusion over Cleverley.
Sep 1, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
“Today two powers were brought together, the hand of God and that of the Pope,” Maradona joked. No, really. That’s what he said.
Sep 1, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
How do you think United will line up?
Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
From a 18-year-old Jamaican-English midfielder to a 34-year-old veteran goalkeeper, this team takes a ride through all types of players.
Sep 1, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
In the end, the player had to come from the nine-goal thriller at Goodison Park.
Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe bring you plenty of analysis on the summer transfer window’s Deadline Day.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 3
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 10
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 7
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0