Oct 27, 2013, 10:19 PM EST
He started the weekend chasing Marco Di Vaio and Mike Magee, a detail that will be left out of the final scoring charts. But with three goals tonight in Vancouver, Camilo Sanvezzo passed his Golden Boot rivals to claim Major League Soccer’s 2013 scoring title, delivering on the season’s final day to push his goal total to 22, claiming the title by one goal.
Vancouver went on to win 3-0, relegating Colorado to the Western Conference’s fifth seed. Vancouver finishes three points out of a playoff spot.
Magee had taken the lead earlier in the day with the opening goal at Red Bull Arena. Although his Chicago Fire had their postseason hopes crushed in Harrison, the Most Valuable Player favorite was positioned to celebrate a different individual success, carrying a two-goal edge on Camilo into the Whitecaps’ game with Colorado.
The Brazilian attacker halved Magee’s edge just before half time, converting from the spot after Marvell Wynne conceded a penalty. In the second half, bolstered by a Vancouver team intent on supporting their teammate, Sanvezzo sewed up the Golden Boot in the 74th minute, scoring from the edge of the six-yard box. His right-footed poke past Clint Irwin left Camilo even with Magee on 21 goals, the scoring title assured by his superior assist total (the first tiebreaker).
Ten minutes later, Camilo made sure the tiebreaker was irrelevant, running onto a bouncing ball to the right of Irwin’s goal and beating the Rapids keeper with a first-timer that left him on 22 goals.
He may not got the MVP consideration Magee and Di Vaio have received, but Camilo won the trio’s season-long shootout. With a night to shine at BC Place, the 25-year-old Brazilian delivered, his hat trick securing the 2013 scoring title.
The final Top Five:
- 22 – Camilo Sanvezzo, Vancouver Whitecaps
- 21 – Mike Magee, Chicago Fire/LA Galaxy
- 20 – Marco Di Vaio, Montréal Impact
- 15 – Robbie Keane, LA Galaxy
- 13 – Diego Fagundez, New England Revolution
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0