Oct 27, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
He started the weekend chasing Marco Di Vaio and Mike Magee, a detail that will be left out of the final scoring charts. But with three goals tonight in Vancouver, Camilo Sanvezzo passed his Golden Boot rivals to claim Major League Soccer’s 2013 scoring title, delivering on the season’s final day to push his goal total to 22, claiming the title by one goal.
Vancouver went on to win 3-0, relegating Colorado to the Western Conference’s fifth seed. Vancouver finishes three points out of a playoff spot.
Magee had taken the lead earlier in the day with the opening goal at Red Bull Arena. Although his Chicago Fire had their postseason hopes crushed in Harrison, the Most Valuable Player favorite was positioned to celebrate a different individual success, carrying a two-goal edge on Camilo into the Whitecaps’ game with Colorado.
The Brazilian attacker halved Magee’s edge just before half time, converting from the spot after Marvell Wynne conceded a penalty. In the second half, bolstered by a Vancouver team intent on supporting their teammate, Sanvezzo sewed up the Golden Boot in the 74th minute, scoring from the edge of the six-yard box. His right-footed poke past Clint Irwin left Camilo even with Magee on 21 goals, the scoring title assured by his superior assist total (the first tiebreaker).
Ten minutes later, Camilo made sure the tiebreaker was irrelevant, running onto a bouncing ball to the right of Irwin’s goal and beating the Rapids keeper with a first-timer that left him on 22 goals.
He may not got the MVP consideration Magee and Di Vaio have received, but Camilo won the trio’s season-long shootout. With a night to shine at BC Place, the 25-year-old Brazilian delivered, his hat trick securing the 2013 scoring title.
The final Top Five:
- 22 - Camilo Sanvezzo, Vancouver Whitecaps
- 21 - Mike Magee, Chicago Fire/LA Galaxy
- 20 - Marco Di Vaio, Montréal Impact
- 15 - Robbie Keane, LA Galaxy
- 13 - Diego Fagundez, New England Revolution
Mar 10, 2014, 7:17 AM EDT
Could Saints’ talented academy products switch St. Mary’s for Old Trafford this summer?
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
It likely means very little, but it’s a narrative we’ll be watching all year… and the first salvo belongs to the Western Conference.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
He’s in Barcelona. She’s from Colombia. Their kid is named Milan.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
It was a small sample size for the Premier League, but that didn’t stop some stars from shining in Round 29.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
With Levante already trailing Real Madrid 2-0, David Navarro took a red card for a harsh foul on the international star.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Aside from the Gunners, there shouldn’t be too many hurt feelings amongst the other giants of Europe.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
The Old Lady beats Fiorentina to extend lead atop Serie A, dismiss opponents’ threat to third.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Knee ailment sees Dutch midfielder out of match after 12 minutes.
Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action
Mar 9, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
The Blues are seven points clear, Fulham moves clear to the second tier, and Manchester United illuminate the depths of West Brom.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
It was Valladolid’s first win over Barcelona since October 2012, and “boosted” their record in the rivalry to 4W-5D-23L.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
That’s a photo from an actual Serie A match between Lazio and Atalanta. Wow.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Wilmer Cabrera gets a win in his debut as boss of Chivas USA.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
This Johannsson kid is easily the best Icelandic-Alabaman we’ve seen in a long time.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Meyler capped off a long run with a left-footed finish to score the second of Hull’s three goals in a shutout win over Sunderland on Sunday.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s a horrifying story, and one that is sure to have severe repercussions throughout Ghana’s soccer structure.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
With Pique picking up his fourth yellow against Real Valladolid, he could sit next league match to ensure his availability against Real Madrid.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
At least one of Wigan, Hull City or Sheffield United will make the FA Cup final as the quarterfinals are complete and the semifinal draw is out.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
In the midst of a 4-match winless skid in the Bundesliga – 5 if you include the Champions League drubbing by PSG – Bayer Leverkusen now lose a key midfield component.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
An offshore Swiss bank account has betrayed the 62-year-old as he faces 10 years in prison.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Jozy Altidore was left out of the Sunderland squad today thanks to a knock he picked up in training, but this season as a whole has been a train wreck.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro