Oct 28, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
The 27-year-old was substituted in the first half, and was seen holding his arm as he headed down the tunnel.
There was no official timetable released by West Ham, but the Portugese frontman suffered a similar injury last year that required surgery and kept him out of action for three months.
Because of the injury pileup, Allardyce was forced into resigning Carlton Cole two weeks ago, and now with Vaz Te out he may get his first start of the season soon.
The biggest miss for the Hammers has no doubt been Carroll, who has not played yet this season and remains weeks away from a return thanks to torn tendons in his right heel.
Carroll injured the foot in both the last game of the previous season as well as in his first day back in training this summer.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 2
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0