Oct 28, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT
The 27-year-old was substituted in the first half, and was seen holding his arm as he headed down the tunnel.
There was no official timetable released by West Ham, but the Portugese frontman suffered a similar injury last year that required surgery and kept him out of action for three months.
Because of the injury pileup, Allardyce was forced into resigning Carlton Cole two weeks ago, and now with Vaz Te out he may get his first start of the season soon.
The biggest miss for the Hammers has no doubt been Carroll, who has not played yet this season and remains weeks away from a return thanks to torn tendons in his right heel.
Carroll injured the foot in both the last game of the previous season as well as in his first day back in training this summer.
- Everton willing to set club transfer record to bring Lukaku back 3
- Arsenal on the verge of signing Calum Chambers from Southampton 1
- Knee injury will keep Lallana out of Liverpool’s Premier League opener 0
- A quick guide to who’s come and gone from Premier League teams 2
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 4
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 9