Oct 28, 2013, 8:30 AM EST
The 27-year-old was substituted in the first half, and was seen holding his arm as he headed down the tunnel.
There was no official timetable released by West Ham, but the Portugese frontman suffered a similar injury last year that required surgery and kept him out of action for three months.
Because of the injury pileup, Allardyce was forced into resigning Carlton Cole two weeks ago, and now with Vaz Te out he may get his first start of the season soon.
The biggest miss for the Hammers has no doubt been Carroll, who has not played yet this season and remains weeks away from a return thanks to torn tendons in his right heel.
Carroll injured the foot in both the last game of the previous season as well as in his first day back in training this summer.
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league at impasse as situation looks dire 8
- 2015 MLS Season Preview: Top 10 Newcomers 1