Oct 29, 2013, 4:05 PM EDT
Two quick points to make about the Seattle Sounders and the ongoing tale of brilliant attendance growth:
First, it’s a sign of the times that the properly heralded organization just set yet another MLS attendance record, and yet the domestic soccer world is not making a honking big deal about it.
It’s a story, of course; we had a post about it this very morning at ProSoccerTalk. But it’s more of a low key “raise your glass” celebration than a “pop the champagne” blowout.
Thing is, we expect great things from soccer and that city, where the rowdy rave green culture keeps leading the way in our game.
On the one hand, it kind of stinks that we might take something like this for granted. But on the other hand, it’s a little bit wonderful that we take it for granted; expecting great things is a sure sign of progress, right? It’s like instructing a young athlete to celebrate a goal, a touchdown or a big basket a little less because, you know, “Act like you’ve been there before.”
Either way you feel about it, congrats one more time to Seattle Sounders FC and all their loyal supporters.
Now, here’s the next achievement we’d love to see you guys check off.
The 1978 Cosmos, smack in the middle of that remarkable Once in a Lifetime-ness, averaged 47,856 fans. That’s the all-time best attendance average for a season of soccer in the United States.
Back when Seattle set the first MLS season attendance records, starting in the low 30Ks but growing swiftly into the high 30Ks over the first three seasons, the Cosmos record still seemed quite far away.
Today? Not so much.
The Sounders are going to get there soon enough – maybe even by this time next year.
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 0
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1
- Introducing: “The 2 Robbies ‘Football’ Show” on NBCSportsRadio.com 0