Oct 30, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT
When discussing reports David Beckham had chosen Miami as the location for his MLS franchise, league executive VP Dan Courtemache told our Steve Davis, “it is more appropriate for David Beckham to comment on his plans.”
Cue Mr. Beckham, who spoke during a Facebook broadcast to his followers on Wednesday.
“I’m passionate about staying in football and being an owner of a team is something I’m passionate about,” Beckham said while promoting his new book.
“Miami is one of the places we looked at, and we’ve looked at others too.”
So there you have it: Nothing new. Even if all indications are Miami’s going to get his Royal Beckhamness, nobody can go on record. Yet.
Thankfully, Beckham didn’t spend his whole appearance discussing issues he couldn’t talk about.
On comments made about him in Alex Ferguson’s recent book:
“I’m not going to sit here and be negative about a man who gave me a chance to play for my boyhood team, who I always dreamed of playing for,” said Beckham, who won six Premier League titles and one Uefa Champions League under Ferguson.
“He believed in me and believed in the rest of the young lads who came through this with us.
“The funny thing was I’m involved in the MLS and bringing my own franchise into the league and actually he was one of the first in my phone book to contact as the manager!”
On the potential for him to go into coaching:
“You should never say never, because something may happen in 10 years’ time which may make me think I should be a manager but I don’t think so,” he explained.
“It’s not something I’m really passionate about. To do something well you have to be passionate about it. I love coaching kids — my own kids and other kids too — but management is something that does not float my boat.”
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter is “ready to change.” Do we believe this? 1
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 9
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 14
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 3