Nov 2, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
New York manager Mike Petke, in his first year as a pro head coach, stared down his club’s globally recognized star, Thierry Henry, as the pair clashed during the regular season stretch run.
Was it the turning point to New York’s season, the breakthrough moment that turned this club from an ordinary, “good MLS team” into a Supporters Shield winner and serious MLS Cup contender? CSN Houston’s Glenn Davis says so.
“Here’s a guy that’s really preached that you really have to care about the club,” Davis said. “He had that infamous confrontation with Thierry Henry in the locker room, that nearly came to blows, apparently, and what has happened is that it has galvanized New York. Henry is playing like a man possessed. Tim Cahill is playing like a man possessed, and it’s a New York team that can match the Dynamo’s esprit de corps.”
Here is the network’s video preview of Red Bulls-Dynamo, who meet Sunday in the first leg of their Eastern Conference semifinal series.
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 0
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 5
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 2
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0