Nov 2, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
Arsenal jumped into an early lead at the Emirates against Liverpool, as Spanish international Santi Cazorla smashed home a controlled finish in the 19th minute to send Gunners fans wild.
After an end-to-end start from both teams, it was the home side who went ahead thanks to a great piece of skill.
Bacary Sagna raced down the right flank and whipped in an inviting ball that Cazorla first headed against the post before reacting quickest to the ricochet by dispatching the rebound calmly to put Arsenal 1-0 up.
The goal sees Liverpool up against it and is exactly the kind of start Arsene Wenger would’ve been hoping for.
Liverpool are unbeaten away from home this season and despite going behind, Brendan Rodgers‘ men have looked dangerous on the break.
Can the Reds fight back against Arsenal?
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear