Nov 2, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
After just 12 seconds of Stoke City’s 1-1 draw with Southampton on Saturday, there was utter delirium inside the Britannia Stadium.
Stoke’s goalkeeper Asmir Begovic had scored.
From the kick off Saints gave the ball away, and as Stoke knocked the ball back to Begovic he struck a booming clearance forward. That clearance turned into the opening goal, as Saints defenders Jose Fonte and Dejan Lovren let the ball bounce through to Polish’ goalkeeper Artur Boruc… or so they thought. But the ball bounced off the surface and zipped up over Boruc’s head and into the net.
Despite his incredible achievement of scoring from almost 100-yards away, Begovic was humble afterwards as he recalled the crazy moment.
“It’s a cool feeling but it is a fortunate incident,” Begovic said. “I feel bad for Artur Boruc when that happens but it’s a good point for us. Hopefully we can keep the confidence going. It does not make a goalkeeper look good and after it I did not want to celebrate against him. Hopefully I can get a couple more!”
The blustery conditions made it a tricky afternoon for both ‘keepers, and Begovic conceded that the wind played a massive part in his goal.
“We had to graft one out in the end with the conditions,” Begovic said. “It’s the worst conditions you can play in. The wet you can deal with but the wind makes it difficult. You don’t know where the ball is going to go.”
As for the man on the receiving end of Begovic’s freak goal, Southampton ‘keeper Boruc would rather forget all about it.
“I don’t want to remember it anymore,” Boruc said. ”I blame the wind for that. I’m really sorry for my team-mates and our supporters but what can I say? What happens, happens and I need to bounce back. I promise to get those two points back.These kinds of things happen to goalkeepers. It has happened before and will happen again. That’s the life of being a goalkeeper, it is not always beautiful. I look forward to the next game.”
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes