Nov 3, 2013, 9:08 AM EDT
Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti labeled their second half against Rayo Vallecano as “a disaster” after Los Blancos took all three points in a 3-2 win.
The visitors went up 3-0 just after halftime thanks to a brace from Cristiano Ronaldo and two assists by Gareth Bale.
However, they had conceded two penalties to Jonathan Viera by the 55th minute and had to scratch and claw to hold onto their lead against the La Liga bottomfeeders.
“We need to change – we have to lose our superficiality. The second half was a disaster” Ancelotti said postmatch. “Against Sevilla, we were leading 3-0 but we allowed them to get back into contention. The same thing happened tonight and it’s not by coincidence.
“We need to change and lose the superficiality we’re showing out on the pitch. You cannot let the other team back into a game you are winning when you have the quality Madrid has. I will talk to the players in private, not here. I’m not happy with what happened.”
Real Madrid will need to improve defensively – and fast – with Juventus on the horizon Tuesday in the Champions League.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19