Nov 3, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
Tottenham’s frozen-out striker Emmanuel Adebayor has told the public that he is at not only a low point in his career, but in life as well.
“I have tried to keep my belief but I cannot get any lower,” said Adebayor. “If I am lower than this it means I am dead.”
Having been relegated to training with the reserves, the 29-year-old hasn’t featured for Spurs in any competition since May 19th – last season.
“What I found difficult was not training with the youth team, but when it is left to the physio to come and tell me, as one of the senior players in the squad, to go and train with the youth, I find it very difficult.”
Spurs have only scored nine goals in 10 Premier League games so far this season, but manager Andre Villas-Boas has stuck with new striker Roberto Soldado. The Spaniard has only bagged a single goal from open play in the league, plus three other times from the penalty spot.
Despite his terrible morale, Adebayor says he’s 100% committed to making the Spurs first team again.
“I have three years left on my contract and I’m not going anywhere,” he said. “I’m fully committed, my fitness levels are getting back and I have unfinished business here.”
The Togo international spent a successful season on loan at White Hart Lane under Harry Redknapp before making a £5 million ($8 million) permanent switch in the summer of 2012.
But he struggled in Andre Villas-Boas’s first season in charge, just five times in 25 league matches last year, leading the manager to purchase his new talisman up front.
- D.C. United takes a point out of Columbus, but referee has some explaining to do (video) 0
- Late strike from Manneh allows Vancouver to salvage a point against LA Galaxy (video) 0
- WATCH: All the goals, highlights from Saturday in the Premier League 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea blow it, Swansea, Spurs and Palace win 0
- VIDEO: Jose Mourinho’s sensational swipe at officials after Chelsea suffer shock defeat 9
- Chelsea 1-2 Sunderland: Blues’ title dreams in ruins, as Black Cats grab shock win (video) 5