Nov 5, 2013, 9:22 PM EDT
If Orlando’s ongoing, seemingly unstoppable efforts to land that official MLS expansion invitation was a player on the field, we’d say that man of the moment “in form.” Everything that area leaders or the Orlando City organization does seems to nail the sweet spot – even if only accidentally so.
Today the club announced its intention to move into a smaller venue for the 2014 season, a 5,000-seat venue at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort. This is a stop-gap while the club’s home, the Florida Citrus Bowl, undergoes renovation.
Thing is, it works out great. There’s nothing wrong with creating some demand while the momentum builds for an MLS entrance. And having a smaller venue will give the Lions a look of success (assuming they can fill the smaller venue, that is). Not saying that what the club hasn’t done inside the big ol’ Citrus Bowl. Just saying that appearances count for a lot … and a small, full ground sometimes rings that bell of success more than greater numbers inside a larger ground.
Speaking of MLS expansion, this piece is all about why St. Louis doesn’t have a team in the league.
It’s a weird report, though. Because it doesn’t mention local attorney Jeff Cooper and the MLS bid that wasn’t so far from fruition a few short years ago. Cooper and his group had energy, good ideas and a stadium plan, but came up short in the major-money department. Cooper was merely rich, not ridiculously rich, and that was a concern.
Finally, if you read the reports of Alessandro Nesta about to become top man at Montreal, well, that’s not going to happen.
- Report: Diego Costa could be out four to six weeks with hamstring injury 0
- Transfer needs – Everton, Hull, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester City 1
- Olivier Giroud undergoes ankle surgery, out 3-4 months for Arsenal 0
- $410 million Las Vegas soccer stadium deal closer; next stop, Major League Soccer… 13
- Report: Arsenal bid $82 million for Edinson Cavani. Remy, Falcao, Welbeck linked 9
- Confirmed: Neil Warnock takes over at Crystal Palace; what will he bring? 0