Nov 5, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
As much as Manchester City’s first half explosion has highlighted Tuesday’s first half, it’s the lack of goals in Paris and Plzen that stand out.
Bayern Munich, expected to roll to a record-tying win, have been help off the scoresheet by a Viktoria side they beat 5-0 two weeks ago. And at the Parc de Princes, Belgian champions Anderlect have managed to take Paris Saint-Germain to intermission nil-nil, the Purple-Whites 45 minutes away from their first points of the tournament.
But the eye-catcher is in Manchester. A take-down of David Silva in the third minute allowed Sergio Agüero to open the scoring from the spot. The Argentine striker took his second in the 20th minute, a right-footed finish into the lower-right corner doubling City’s lead. Álvaro Negredo’s goal on the half-hour pushed the lead to three, but with Seydou Doumbia breaking through for CSKA just before the whistle, the over-matched and out-worked Russians have slim hopes of staying in knockout round contention.
An Arturo Vidal penalty conversion has a dominant Juventus up in Turin, while early goals in Denmark and Greece have also given home teams a halftime edge. Four games, however, go to halftime as they started, with an entertaining affair in Donetsk somehow failing to produce a goal.
Here are all the halftime numbers, courtesy of Opta and WhoScored.com:
|A||Real Sociedad-Manchester United||0-0||2-2||0-1||44-56|
|A||Shakhtar Donetsk-Bayer Leverkusen||0-0||2-10||1-5||42-58|
|D||Manchester City-CSKA Moscow||3-1||9-7||4-2||64-36|
|D||Viktoria Plzen-Bayern Munich||0-0||8-10||0-5||29-71|
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 2
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 2
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2