Nov 5, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
As much as Manchester City’s first half explosion has highlighted Tuesday’s first half, it’s the lack of goals in Paris and Plzen that stand out.
Bayern Munich, expected to roll to a record-tying win, have been help off the scoresheet by a Viktoria side they beat 5-0 two weeks ago. And at the Parc de Princes, Belgian champions Anderlect have managed to take Paris Saint-Germain to intermission nil-nil, the Purple-Whites 45 minutes away from their first points of the tournament.
But the eye-catcher is in Manchester. A take-down of David Silva in the third minute allowed Sergio Agüero to open the scoring from the spot. The Argentine striker took his second in the 20th minute, a right-footed finish into the lower-right corner doubling City’s lead. Álvaro Negredo’s goal on the half-hour pushed the lead to three, but with Seydou Doumbia breaking through for CSKA just before the whistle, the over-matched and out-worked Russians have slim hopes of staying in knockout round contention.
An Arturo Vidal penalty conversion has a dominant Juventus up in Turin, while early goals in Denmark and Greece have also given home teams a halftime edge. Four games, however, go to halftime as they started, with an entertaining affair in Donetsk somehow failing to produce a goal.
Here are all the halftime numbers, courtesy of Opta and WhoScored.com:
|A||Real Sociedad-Manchester United||0-0||2-2||0-1||44-56|
|A||Shakhtar Donetsk-Bayer Leverkusen||0-0||2-10||1-5||42-58|
|D||Manchester City-CSKA Moscow||3-1||9-7||4-2||64-36|
|D||Viktoria Plzen-Bayern Munich||0-0||8-10||0-5||29-71|
- Pep Guardiola: For now, Julian Green will remain with Bayern Munich’s first team 0
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 3
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 11
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 7
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6