Nov 7, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
It was a tough day for English clubs in the Europa League as Wigan were defeated at Rubin Kazan and Swansea gave up a late lead to 10-man Kuban Krasnodar to draw 1-1.
Wilfried Bony opened the scoring with his fourth European goal for Swansea in the ninth minute, but they met a similar fate to the reverse fixture two weeks ago as Ibrahima Balde netted in stoppage time.
Kuban defender Xandao was sent off with 15 minutes remaining for his second yellow card, but just like Djibril Cisse did at Liberty Stadium, Balde caught the end of a cross from Ivelin Popov to earn the hosts a point despite the disadvantage.
Swansea still remain a near-certainty to progress to the knockout stages, with a final-match loss plus a host of other results needed to keep them off their top spot.
Championship side Wigan Athletic were dealt a blow as Russian side Rubin Kazan won 1-0 to secure their place in the knockout rounds. A long ball caught the Wigan defense out of place and found the feet of Oleg Kuzmin who fired home from a tight angle in the 22nd minute.
Wigan pushed for a point but Roger Espinoza‘s header came off the bar with less than 20 minutes to go.
The Latics remain two points above the cut line in their group, with matches against each of the teams (Maribor and Zulte Waregam) below them remaining.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad