Freddy Adu to be released from Brazilian club Bahia due to “technical deficiencies”

Nov 7, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT

Photo: ES Bahia Photo: ES Bahia

24-year-old Freddy Adu will be released from his club Esporte Clube Bahia at the end of his contract due to what Brazilian publication Lance!Net calls “technical deficiencies.”

Adu made just four appearances for Bahia, two in Brazilian Serie A league play, since moving from the Philadelphia Union in March to make way for designated player José Kléberson.

“He does not play because there are others who are superior,” said Bahia director of football Anderson Barros.  “He is very dedicated. I have nothing bad to say about him off the field.  I have talked with him, and Adu understands the situation.  He is very professional.”

He made the bench of seven other occasions as an unused substitute, but has not made the matchday squad since September 7 – a run of 15 matches.  His contract expires in December.

Once a young, teenage sensation, Freddy’s career has spiraled downward into oblivion.  Adu’s move to Brazil he believed would help him finally play the style of soccer that allows him to be at his best.

“I came here because I always had a dream to play in Brazil someday” said Adu in April. “My style of play is always compared to a Brazilian. I finally have a chance to do that. I am excited.”

After being released from his ninth pro club, there is a chance this could be the end for Freddy Adu’s top-flight career.

1. wfjackson3 - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I still wish Adu all the best, but maybe we can finally stop hearing calls for him to get a look at the USMNT. He just isn’t on that level.

• ojom4130 - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Eight leagues, 9 teams, 9 drops. What next?

2. Greg - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

24 and apparently washed up, where does someone like this go from here? He’s been lauded as this phenom for the best part of the last 10 years, hard to imagine a scenario not involving financial hardship in the not too distant future

• bostonredsoccer - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Well, the hardship part will really be driven by how he has managed his money. I haven’t seen anything that indicates he needs the higher salary to support his lifestyle.

There are still places where he can make a decent living playing the game, but it probably won’t be at the salary levels he has been used to lately. Give him a few more years before sticking a fork in it.

• mikeevergreen - Nov 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

A-League (Australia)…J-League (Japan)…they’ll sign him. Or NASL.

• midtec2005 - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Absolutely, he can play somewhere… just probably not where anyone had hoped. I’d watch him if he signed with the Dayton Dutch Lions in the USLpro… I don’t think he will sink to the USL though.

• midtec2005 - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Come to think of it, J-League may be a style well suited for him too.

• wwsiralexd - Nov 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

You guys underestimate the A-, J-, and K-Leagues.

3. dfstell - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I wish him the best. For all those shoveling dirt on him, just remember where Eddie Johnson was a couple of years ago. Adu may not have a happy ending, but he’s not old yet.

• danielofthedale - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

EJ had had several successful seasons as a pro before he hit his rough patch. I don’t think Freddy has anything close to that. He does seem like the kind of of player that maybe the Cosmos would go for to help keep there name out there and bring in a few more press clippings for next NASL season and I think they would be willing to over spend on him.

• truthspoken416 - Nov 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM

And where were these “SUCCESSFUL” seasons? Fulham lol?? Turkeys 2nd division? I call your BS RIGHT NOW. Remember it was Adu who called EJ and begged him to never give up on his dream of playing soccer, and that he will see his worth…You don’t think that EJ and Jozy..who has publicly said ADU is is favorite player on the pitch, wont come and support their friend in need? Hell Sunderland could use him right now…and have you seen Bahia’s record….they have like like 6 of 7 who are they to say someone does not have skills…..

• danielofthedale - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM

EJ had some good seasons with the Dallas Burn and Kansas City Wizards (back where those were the names of their teams). Now I am not saying he was lighting the world fire but Freddy has never had a season nearly as good as some of those Johnson had MLS before moving to England.

4. talgrath - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I just don’t know what to make of Freddy Adu, sometimes he looks awfully talented, and other times he just looks arrogant. Does he lack talent or is it all about mental state and attitude? 24 is awfully young to retire from soccer, but at this point, what team will hire him?

• joekocur - Nov 9, 2013 at 9:46 PM

He is arrogant. From my area of Maryland and my friend got into a fight with him over a girl. He’s very cocky and a real a-hole. He’s got Napoleon complex. He and Dan Snyder should go bowling sometime.

5. lavatomy - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

He should try his luck in Liga MX. Less technical than the Brazilian Serie A if not then he should consider lowering his salary demands so that maybe an MLS team can take a look at him.

6. jrocknstuff - Nov 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

He couldn’t cut it in MLS. Philly couldn’t wait to get rid of him, no matter what they were paying him. When I saw him play at 15 I wasn’t overly impressed. DC United rushed him along way too quick and stunted his development. He has always played with the attitude that he’s better than anyone on the field, and he trains that way. Problem is, he needs a ton of work, always has. I think he may be able to go back to one of the European second divisions where he was before coming back to the MLS. Maybe a second division Potuguese club or Turkish club would take a look at him, other than that he’s pretty much finished. USLPro is also an option.

7. jrocknstuff - Nov 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

You’re out of your mind if you think Adu can play in the Premier League. I don’t care if Sunderland is bottom of the table, Adu wouldn’t last 5 seconds on the pitch with anyone from that league. He wouldn’t last in the Championship in England and probably couldn’t cut it in League One. The English game is WAY too physical for him. I like the idea of him playing in the J-League. Half the matches there finish 4-3 or higher.

8. tariencole - Nov 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Bottom line is the only top-flight league in the world that would be open to him right now is MLS. And almost certainly not as a DP. That means he’s going to have to learn to live with a reduced salary until he can earn the laurels that were given to him.

I think with Freddy it’s a case of handlers pushing him too far, too fast. He had to get into MLS before he was even physically developed, when there would’ve been lower-level teams that would’ve been perfect for him to play for at the time and learn the craft w/ less pressure. He had to go to Europe before he’d hit his prime years, or even been truly successful in MLS.

He has potential to be a successful pro. I don’t think anyone can doubt that. But he’s been such a vagabond, that it’s hard to imagine that it’s not hurt both his confidence and technical development.

9. pjbowmaster - Nov 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Cosmos in 3…2…1…

10. Sport Follower - Nov 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Adu once was described as very promising player but for some reason fails. This situation could be fatal to his career.

11. dannyboy1024 - Nov 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Freddy Adu was a product of the MLS trying to make a superstar like PELE. It worked for a minute but he eventually developed into an average player. I’m not surprised his career is on the down at age 24 or even before 24. He can not play in Europe’s first division…lol. does not have the talent.

12. handelaar101 - Nov 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I think any team in the NASL would take him in a heartbeat. Would be a great marquee signing for the reigning champions New York Cosmos if they snapped him up. Great for merchandise sales too.

13. ojom4130 - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Can he keep a spot on Kelly’s Pub?

14. braxtonrob - Nov 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Technical skill (was always his greatest asset).

He never developed real speed, and he’s too small to have average speed. He just never developed in more than one area of his game. (Makes me wonder if he’s really 24)

15. jimmycrackcorn99 - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Wherever he goes, he’s going to need a coach who is ready to kick his a$$ and head back into discipline gear if he wants to move forward in life and the soccer/football world. At 24, it’s a typical now-or-never stage.