Nov 7, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho revealed that Eden Hazard’s absence from the squad in their 3-0 win over Schalke in the Champions League was due to a violation of team rules.
According to The Special One, “he forgot the time” suggesting that Hazard was either late for a team event, missed a training session, or other mistake.
“Let’s end the story” said Mourinho. “He’s a kid, kids make mistakes and fathers they have to be clever in the way they educate their sons. He didn’t play, he wanted to play. He’s sad because he wanted to play. We won without him and Saturday he’s back. End of story.”
Prior to missing the match, the Belgian winger had played in every Chelsea game this season but two – one Champions League match and one League Cup tie.
Mourinho made six changes to his side from the one that lost at Newcastle over the weekend, a bitterly disappointing result that left the manager “angry” with his team.
However, not all those changes were tactical. The dropping of the 22-year-old Hazard for Willian was due to previously stated disciplinary reasons, and Samuel Eto’o started over the injured Fernando Torres and scored two goals.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes