Nov 7, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho revealed that Eden Hazard’s absence from the squad in their 3-0 win over Schalke in the Champions League was due to a violation of team rules.
According to The Special One, “he forgot the time” suggesting that Hazard was either late for a team event, missed a training session, or other mistake.
“Let’s end the story” said Mourinho. “He’s a kid, kids make mistakes and fathers they have to be clever in the way they educate their sons. He didn’t play, he wanted to play. He’s sad because he wanted to play. We won without him and Saturday he’s back. End of story.”
Prior to missing the match, the Belgian winger had played in every Chelsea game this season but two – one Champions League match and one League Cup tie.
Mourinho made six changes to his side from the one that lost at Newcastle over the weekend, a bitterly disappointing result that left the manager “angry” with his team.
However, not all those changes were tactical. The dropping of the 22-year-old Hazard for Willian was due to previously stated disciplinary reasons, and Samuel Eto’o started over the injured Fernando Torres and scored two goals.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s