Nov 7, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Terrence Boyd scored a brace to help Rapid Wien overcome a 0-1 deficit to Genk only for the Belgian side to roar back and level the match 2-2 in UEFA Europa League Group G.
Both of Boyd’s goals came on headers, the first in the 39th minute.
Rapid striker Branko Boskovic sent a swerving corner kick into the box where Mario Sonnleitner snapped a header that clattered the post and fell right to Boyd, who headed home from 4 yards out.
The American international set the Gerhard Hanappi Stadium alight when he turned to the crowd and celebrated by feigning to rip off his shirt in classic Superman style.
Eight minutes later and Boyd had his brace, rising high and connecting on another unstoppable header off Christopher Trimmel’s well-flighted cross from the right side.
The double took Boyd’s Europa League goal-tally to three and 10 on the season.
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 8
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 1
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 1
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 1
- United States wins third Women’s World Cup title, beats Japan on record-smashing day 25