Nov 7, 2013, 6:40 PM EDT
Terrence Boyd scored a brace to help Rapid Wien overcome a 0-1 deficit to Genk only for the Belgian side to roar back and level the match 2-2 in UEFA Europa League Group G.
Both of Boyd’s goals came on headers, the first in the 39th minute.
Rapid striker Branko Boskovic sent a swerving corner kick into the box where Mario Sonnleitner snapped a header that clattered the post and fell right to Boyd, who headed home from 4 yards out.
The American international set the Gerhard Hanappi Stadium alight when he turned to the crowd and celebrated by feigning to rip off his shirt in classic Superman style.
Eight minutes later and Boyd had his brace, rising high and connecting on another unstoppable header off Christopher Trimmel’s well-flighted cross from the right side.
The double took Boyd’s Europa League goal-tally to three and 10 on the season.
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 1
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 2
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0
- Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure 1
- Official: Frank Lampard unveiled as New York City FC’s latest signing 5