Nov 8, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
If Kansas City prevails in its Eastern Conference final against hard-to-kill Houston, Major League Soccer’s 18th championship will be hosted at Kansas City’s Sporting Park (pictured).
Otherwise – and that’s a big “otherwise” considering Houston’s post-season success over the last two years against Sporting KC – Portland or suburban Sandy, Utah, will host this year’s Dec. 7 final.
Houston is the only team left in the ongoing Major League Soccer post-season (the big bracket is here) that cannot host the MLS Cup final. So if Houston wins a third consecutive MLS Eastern Conference title, they will be the championship game visitors once again (with the Western Conference side as championship contest hosts).
The playoffs are down to four teams. Remember, this is the second year in which the finalist with the best record will host Major League Soccer’s championship.
By the way, it will work just a little better than last year, when Los Angeles, seeded No. 8 among 10 playoff teams, hosted. That didn’t exactly work out as planned, where MLS officials had hoped to reward regular season performance with the opportunity to host MLS Cup.
It did, I suppose … but only to a point.
At any rate, here are the four remaining playoff clubs and their final point totals from 2013.
- Kansas City, 58
- Portland, 57
- Real Salt Lake, 56
- Houston, 51
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Southampton name former Edmonton Oilers coach its new chairman 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League